The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased 2 Nigerian dwarf / Pygmy goats cross does. We got them at 11 weeks and now they are 13.5 weeks. The first 3 days we brought them home I had them in a little pen we made it quickly with a dog house and a couple things to climb on. On the 3rd day I noticed some poop that looked like dog poop and I figured the goat was just stressed from the move and being separated from a large herd. Day 3 we moved the goats to a much larger pasture than before (100’x 35’) and also integrated that pasture with my chicken run so they are all together. I have not seen any change in the goats pooping. I think some may have been diarrhea because I could see it in her coat around her butt. We gave Corid last week Thursday in the water when we saw no improvement in the poop. Friday I went to Florida for The Weeknd and my step daughter informed us of the same signs of the poop. But the goats are still being active walking around browsing as normal.
The first few days they were very vocal and since they don’t make much noise. Is this a bad sign? They also don’t seem to want to climb around too much in the structures I have built, Atleast that I have seen the few hours a day I am able to keep an eye on them. Monday I checked the eyelids of both goats. White goat had white eyelids and black goat was still pink. At that point I gave both goats corid down the mouth , and Safe guard down the mouth. Wednesday the black goat has became anemic. Per breeders recommendation I gave another does of safe guard yesterday. (He is recommending that I should be giving them multiple doses of straight ivermectin and cyvermectin and that the safe guard does not work)
I believe the goats may have been infected when purchased but we got 5 days of rain here last week in Michigan.
the breeder I got them from told me they lost 4 goats overnight because of the parasites
Is this normal?
From reading on another forum I read that they need probiotic and iron supplement when they become anemic.
today I gave them probiotics in food and power punch down the throat.
I am asking the help of others to help a newbie who is deathly afraid of losing my little goats that I love so much and have dreamed of becoming and owner of for years.

I also gave the white goat water with electrolytes on Monday , Tuesday , Wednesday out of a kid bottle. She didn’t take much but I wanted to get some to make sure she didn’t dehydrate. Yesterday and today they drank approximately 1.5-2 qts of water. I wasn’t sure the the first anemic one (white) was drinking it but I did see her this evening take a few drinks

I am attaching photos of the medications I have given as well as a couple stools I examined today.
please any advice helps

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,150 Posts
First Welcome to the forum. Ok now down to business. Corid needs to be diluted and dosed according to their weight. Is not effective in water as you can not be sure they get what they need. Next. Stool looks very black, which can indicate parasites and or coccidia. Safe guard is not a very effective dewormer for most areas. I would grab Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally) for them or cydectin sheep drench. These are broad based dewormers as I don't think you have time to send off a fecal before treating with them all ready slowing down. I would gather a fresh sample from each before treating and send that off to get an idea of how heavy a load they are carrying and of what.
Don't be tempted to over deworm. Get a good dewormer and dose now (because I don't think safeguard will do the trick) booster in 10 days..but not before. Give it time to work. I would also give them Tummy Tamer 4 times a day, which I will post recipe for below.
For anemia
Red cell..1.5 cc per 25 pounds once a day for a week then once a week until color improves
B12 injectable or B complex injectable once a day. 2 to 3 cc sub q
30 cc of 50/50acv/water..can split this in 2 doses of 15 cc each 2 times a day.
High protien feed, alfalfa, variety of browse all help rebuild red blood cells.
If you can get fresh or frozen goats colostrum (I freeze a bit from each of my goats each year) give them 1/8-1/4 cup once a day to help heal the gut from parasite damage.
Keep both fresh water and electrolytes for them to choose from.
Tummy Tamer
1teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Cinnamon
Ginger
Slippery elm
Clove (for coccidia)
Acv
Molasses
20-30 cc water..blend smooth with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves. Split this between the 2 goats. Give 4 times a day.
Corid instructions are above in a medication file. Please follow this to help corid be safe and effective. If you need to use corid..do not give b complex until 5 day treatment is done..then start the b complex. The thiamine in B complex works against corid.
If at any point in using corid, goat begin showing neurological problems. Stop corid and give 5 cc b complex and let us know so we can help with that.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
I agree with @ksalvagno ..I would add 2 squirts of Nutridrench with a little probios in a drench gun. At 3 xs a day until the poop returns to berries. Also vit B gel or Red Cell to give more Bs & thiamine in your goats
Getting a fecal is very important.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sharing what has worked for us, Vet advised to give 3cc Red Cell daily (goat is 40 pounds) 8 cc Safeguard for 10 days in a row. He also advised to continue with Dyne 3 tablespoons 3 times a day. We supplemented with a Porter Beer as well.
Thanks to many here our two are on their way to full recovery and will be joining our herd.

Good Luck lots of nice people here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you guys find the red cell and b12 ? Is this something that needs to be ordered from valley vet ?
The goats are still anemic but I believe I am seeing improvements in the poop. The white one seems to be going back and forth from more pellet type poop then back to more dog poop? I am attaching more photos

Attachments

·
Fair-Haven
4,919 Posts
Great advice above, but I would get a vet involved. White eyelids are nothing to mess with. Run a fecal and keep supporting with Red Cell and electrolytes. I suspect coccidia, but without a fecal you are shooting in the dark. You can lose goats due to parasites like cocci, so personally I would want to jump on this.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Where do you live? I buy most of these items at Farm and Fleet, similar to Tractor Supply. You can feed anti-parasitic foods anytime. The easiest ones include black walnut (leaves or crushed/dried husk), pumpkin and/or pumpkin seeds, and raw garlic.

Subcutaneous (subq) injections aren't hard to learn to do, and the animals barely flinch.

Do they have a good, loose mineral free choice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where do you live? I buy most of these items at Farm and Fleet, similar to Tractor Supply. You can feed anti-parasitic foods anytime. The easiest ones include black walnut (leaves or crushed/dried husk), pumpkin and/or pumpkin seeds, and raw garlic.

Subcutaneous (subq) injections aren't hard to learn to do, and the animals barely flinch.

Do they have a good, loose mineral free choice?
I live In southeastern Michigan
I have been giving them mineral off a block but today when buying the other things mentioned I got them loose mineral and am going to keep that free choice from here out

to all that have commented I appreciate your help

at this point my next question is should I give the goats more dewormer at this point ?
They have had safeguard and all the other medications listed
Do I need to just go to straight ivermectin ?
I’ve gotten mixed responses from you all here and others.
At my tractor supply in town the only ivermectin for goats they have is the safeguard and the durvet ivermectin

the goats are still browsing as normal and drinking but I have noticed weight loss in both over the past two days

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have very low parasite pressure, others can answer that better than me. You do need a fecal test to know which parasite(s) you are treating.

You want to hit them hard with the B vitamins and nutritious foods to get their iron back up while treating for parasites. I'm in SE WI-- I'd go collect a bucket of black walnuts if you can, and/or some branches with leaves on them. Do what you can to keep their life easy and calm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How many days in a row have you given the Safeguard? Also with regards to loose mineral the first time we bought it we ended up getting the wrong one as there is a difference between them. I did not realize it needed to be labeled goat mineral as sheep mineral does not have copper in it which is essential for goats.

if they are still are loosing weight they could go from bad to critical very quickl.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts