Anemic goat wont eat the pellets and lids are pinker today.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    So I cant get my thin ND doe to eat the pelleted Dumor feed I bought. She sorta picks at it but doesnt really eat it all. She really likes the beet pulp with molasses I add to her pellets and the free choice alfalfa pellets I keep out so I know she has an appetite. Do you think it would be ok to mix the pelleted with the Dumor sweet goat til the pelleted is gone and continue with the sweet? I had her on sweet when I got her before I started them on the no grain all hay and alfalfa pellet diet and she loved it. I would really like to get some weight on her. She is the anemic goat I posted about yesterday and I checked her today and her lids seem pinker today then yesterday. More pink then pale whitish pink. I dosed her with 3CC Ivomec yesterday and gave her 3cc of Red Cell yesterday and 6cc today. Is it even possible to pink up that quick in the lids?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yah you can mix anything together -- she will get use to teh pelleted eventually but the sweet isnt bad - I feed a sweet feed

As to her lids -- yup thats normal. if they dont react quickly then you have a bigger issue on your hands.

3. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Then Ill run to TSC tomorrow and get a bag of sweet goat. Maybe the molasses will help build up her iron? IDK but just an idea. So meaning that her lids have pinked up some since yesterday is a good thing?..... :pray:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes, if her lids look pinker...thats great!
    good job so far.
    good luck :thumb:

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This is just my opinion, but this summer I had worm issues (barber pole) and Ivomec didn't touch them.....I had to give into Cydectin as much as I didn't want to.......maybe Ivomec is still working for you, but I would run a fecal and make sure with your one being anemic. If this were my goat I would also worm 3x's ten days apart to make sure you got all life cycles.

6. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Thanks guys. I thought for sure then it was not possible to pink up that quick and I was going crazy :scratch: . Ill check her today to see if shes pinked up even more.

7. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    She wont even eat the sweet goat I bought....ggggrrrrr! :veryangry:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give her time -- some goats just are picky and need to be introduced to stuff slowly,

Do you have a picture of this "skinny" goat? Some goats just are naturally more on the thin side. Now that the worm issue is being taken care of she should bulk up easily even with out the grain.

9. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
  10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with a dairy goat thats normal. She doesnt look skinny to me -- how well can you feel her ribs? you want ot be able to feel them but not like they are sticking out

11. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    It's hard to tell in the photo because she's so fuzzy, but she doesn't really look that thin to me.

She'll probably start eating the grain soon. Or maybe not. I have a doeling who won't touch grain. I even tried pouring pancake syrup on it, and she wouldn't even taste it!

I don't know that the molasses would do anything for her iron levels. Give her a good iron supplement and free access to minerals and she should be all right.

12. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    She may be holding out for what she likes. She knows you will give in :greengrin: