The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wether that has had diarrhea for about 2 weeks. I have treated x2 with Ivomec plus(10 days apart) and have given Di-methox for cocci today. If I cannot find Red Cell can I give iron injectable for swine, if so how much and SQ or IM.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Make sure to do the DiMethox for 5 days in a row and it should be given at 1cc per 5 lbs on day one and 1cc per 10 lbs days 2-5.

You can get the pig iron injectible at TSC. Not sure on dosage but if you do a search, it should be on here somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I hope it works for him, worms and cocci have already taken so many this year. I didn't know all of these things. Pretty new to goat raising and just joined here a few days ago.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Just make sure you have epinephrine on hand ready to go incase of a reaction. I know goats can have a reaction to any injection but for some reason i haven't had any problems with any other injections till i used the injectable iron. I used it on about 7 different goats and 3 of the 7 had a reaction one of which i thought was gonna die it was so bad. Its scary to see so just be careful.

·
376 Posts
Just make sure you have epinephrine on hand ready to go incase of a reaction. I know goats can have a reaction to any injection but for some reason i haven't had any problems with any other injections till i used the injectable iron. I used it on about 7 different goats and 3 of the 7 had a reaction one of which i thought was gonna die it was so bad. Its scary to see so just be careful.
Last year my vet WOULD NOT sell me epinephrine when I asked before giving penicillian shots!!!! Told me I didn't need it! I threw a fit and he finally gave me a syringe with epi in it just in case.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts