The Goat Spot Forum banner

Anemic Goat.....

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Have an anemic nigie buck. His eyelids were red just the other day, very strange and unusual. Anyways last night they were white, he is fairly lethargic and not eating food. I gave him several things last night. He's been dewormed. B12. Red cell. Electrolytes. Kaopectate. Etc.
Can I give antibiotics?? Would that help or hinder?
What do y'all do?
So scary. Ive never had something like this happen with a goat. How can I help him????

#2 ·
Have an anemic nigie buck. His eyelids were red just the other day, very strange and unusual. Anyways last night they were white, he is fairly lethargic and not eating food. I gave him several things last night. He's been dewormed. B12. Red cell. Electrolytes. Kaopectate. Etc.
Can I give antibiotics?? Would that help or hinder?
What do y'all do?
So scary. Ive never had something like this happen with a goat. How can I help him????
Is he dehydrated?

#4 ·
No need for antibiotics
What dewormer did u give
Give B complex
Get a fecal ASAP
Drench him with electrolytes, goats need about a gallon / day

#7 ·
Was he scouring before or after you gave him all that stuff? If his lids were good and pink a few days ago then white two days later he may not have needed the wormer. Something else could be going on. And you do not know if the wormer you gave will even treat for what worms he has. You always should do a fecal before worming... now it will not show you a true count. If you scoop up some of the scours now Rollins may be able to tell you something from it. I dunno.

He needs...
temp taken

electrolytes or gatorade even molasses water if he will not drink the other stuff. The molasses water may taste sweet to him and make him want to drink.

put him in a stall by himself with hay and drinks only. No pellet

Do you know where he was eating when he got out? He could have gotten into something poisonous.

You are close enough to ncsu vet that i would call and see about taking him in to them. If you had not wormed him you could have dropped off a poop sample at rollins which is less than a mile from ncsu vet. Not eating, not drinking, lethargic, scouring.... all bad in themselves but together much worse.

#8 ·
Scouring before. It seems to be clearing up (the scouring)
The eyelids were red a little over a week ago, I checked.
All the meds and wormer is just what the vet said to do
Hopefully can get an appt with her today. If not I'll go to NCSU.

I was gone when he got out, otherwise I would have put him up!

Ah shucks didn't know you could drop fecals there. That would have been easy.

Will do molasses water, he seems to love it anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.