The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pregnant goat that is due to deliver in a week or two. Is it safe to give her iron injections now? What do y'all suggest? Iron injections or red cell? I have both but I tend to think the iron injections will be better. She us feeling good so no other symptoms. I checked her eyelids and they were pale.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also can I give her Valbazan for worms. I know you aren't suppose to give it to pregnant does because the fetus can get deformed, but she is due this month for sure.n

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much red cell should I give her? Also I want to worm her I have safeguard, Valbazan and I just threw awY my ivomec because it was a pale yellow in color. The last time I used it we were outside and I think it got hot so it's probably not any good anymore.

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
good advice...once she kids..I would do a round of valbazen at that time

red cell is once a day for a week then once a week until eye color improves//Vit B 12 helps as well

·
Dani
40 Posts
Kids will most likely be anemic too. I had an anemic doe with worms give birth last year. Of course, I waited to deworm her but both she and the kids were anemic
Kids get iron from their mama's while in the womb. So, when she kids, take a peek at the kid(s) eyelids too and treat them if they are anemic.

·
Dani
40 Posts
Congratulations! They are adorable... I love their floppy ears!
I'm glad to hear they aren't anemic. I hope mama gets better soon

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
Adorable

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello im new here. I know this is a very old post but this is exactly the issue I'm having. I bought two pregnant mini nubians about 9 weeks ago. The seller told me they were due in about 8 weeks. I also have a nubian buckling. The two does have not given birth yet and have parasites. Vet gave them dewormer and i followed up with the second dose twice now but worm overload is still an issue mostly in one of the does especially because of not being able to use stronger dewormer. Last Wednesday she had a swollen face i thought she was stung at first.
After a little Google search it all made sense, loose poop, pale gums and under eye lids. Since the swelling looked serious i had the vet come out. She gave both does an iron injection. The swelling progresses throughout the day and subsides late evening and by morning.
After reading about red cell i asked vets office and they say theres no dosing info of red cell for goats. I told them i read 6cc per 100 lbs they haven't gotten back to me. They told me to give them iron injections once a week. I'm not really comfortable giving injections yet and i feel like red cell has much more to offer. So I'm going with my gut and i ran to tractor supply last night got a gallon of red cell and a drencher.

I weighed the heavier one and she is 79 lbs so i did the math then went a little lighter with dose. 4cc.
As far as what i read the plan is to give the more severely anemic doe with swelling 4cc per day for a week then once a week until better. The other door that has just pale eyes and gums i will do once a week.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
Red Cell is 6cc per 100 lbs. You'd be better off going slightly higher than lower. So go ahead. It would be better to make your own thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts