Angel is sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Mar 2, 2011.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    So on Sunday Angel milked one gallon, about average for her.
    Monday morning she gave me two quarts, and her teats were looking chapped, I'd been putting some udder cream on them, it's really cold and windy (like..75mph) so I left her in the heated stall.
    Monday eve, I went to go milk her... and her bag is entirely empty. Water, Baking Soda, minerals and hay always available.
    So I took her temp 104.2!
    First I gave her cmpk and 8cc of PenG (should have given LA200)
    --
    Tuesday:
    temp was down to 103.5, I then gave more cmpk and 6cc of LA200 (thinking mastitis or Pneumonia)
    --
    Wed.
    Temp is back up to 104.0, I gave another 6cc of LA200
    I'd like to get a CMT test done too.

any suggestions?

oh, and when i gave the penG, i was told to split the dose in two over the back legs. I must have hit a nerve, she limped around knuckling over for a few hours, and now she's still standing like her pasterns are incredibly weak.

gaah

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh,
    she's up and walking around still, drinking and eating well, alert.
    poo'ing A LOT and peeing quite a bit too.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Have you milked her as you normally would since Monday? Is she drinking plenty?

It is odd that she went from a drop in production to no production within a day....do you feel any heat or extreme hardness in her udder?
    You likely did hit the sciatic nerve when you gave her the injection...I've done the same, felt really bad for doing it but it will get better.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    So sorry to hear about Angel. I hope she is has a quick recovery. Wish I could offer some advice but I am a just figuring things out myself. I'll pray for Angel.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thank you.
    I let her kids back with her, they get to nurse her, i cant use the milk with antibiotics in it.

I'm also giving a blended mix of vit c, garlic, onion, cayenne, mollasses, zinc water, slippery elm. it's for a supportive therapy. oddly enough she liked it. lol.

I'm thinking this happened because I put her outside on Sunday morning, its very cold out there and she had been inside where it was 50. So I'm suspecting pneumonia.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do you think maybe she is a self sucker...or another goat is suckling....if her udder isn't hot... and nothing out of the ordinary with her..?..... just a thought...

How much LA200 are you giving her?

you may be right could be pneumonia...but it seems odd... that the temp is coming back up...even with the antibiotics.... :scratch:

Is she eating and drinking water?

Could she be running around...or playing before you temp her ..or maybe she is staying under the heat lamp...I assume that is what you are using? So when you are getting a temp on her it shows a bit higher?

I hope she gets better soon.... :( :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thought of that, could be, man I'd hate it if she was self sucking! I'm thinking since she's not feeling well, her body is concentrating on recovering, not milk.

6cc, 3ml in each shoulder.

yeah. I gave her antibiotics yesterday afternoon, didn't get to check her temp this morning, so it was almost a full 24hours later that i checked and it had gone up again, i need to wake up earlier! lol (my brother broke his collarbone on sunday during a hockey game, so i'm helping him out too, dork)

yes, lots! she went through almost 7 gallons today, eating her grain very well and going through the hay good.

mostly she stays standing, looking and licking at her kids on the other side of the divider, not much room to run around. its about 50 in there...maybe -5 outside.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sorry about your brother...hope he feels better soon...and heals quickly...that has to hurt.... :( :hug:

sounds right... :thumb:

Hmm...babies and momma's are pretty crafty...do you think they are suckling through the divider... is there any way.? Cause I have seen it happen before...they reach through and the momma...actually snuggles up to the fence...just a thought... :wink:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    baby proof! haha, it was a lot of effort making the slats just right ;)

your kids are looking....amazing!!

10. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    No words of wisdom...just thought I would let you know that I was think'en of you and Angel and hoping things improve soon for her. I was wondering why I hadnt seen you on much lately. Looks like brothers, kidding goats, school etc. can really eat up some time! :)

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Depending on how long she was outside in the -5 could be that she does not have pneumonia but is suffering from having her core temp lowered to a point that she is having a very hard time getting back up to speed. Just a though but you deal with the cold all the time.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's a good thought too Mully
    havent checked yet this morning, 75mph winds... i'm making bottles for the kids right now.

oh yeah..i'm busy! Goats, Friend's goats, School...it's all winding down now though (YAY!)

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is she still not making milk for her kids?

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thank you Katrina.... :hug:

How is Angel....any milk today?

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    kids were with her last night, ran out of bottle milk. but they're separated again tonight
    her temp is 102.9 and she's still eating well and drinking a lot

she actually seemed to like the concoction of nasty garlic / onion drench.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe....well at least count Dracula.. will stay away...or you ...whew...bad breath.... :laugh:

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska