The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pics soon! Udder still not what it should be, minimal amount of milk, DOELING nursed as I can tell, one side softer than the other. Baby was dry and clean when I saw her 20 minutes ago! ANGEL IS FINE!!! Baby black with frosting

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stacey, Angels udder is not any bigger than what it was in the pic on my previous post, Baby has no desire to nurse either. I was able to get some out of her and put a few drops in the kids mouth, she isn't interested. Do you think her udder size has anytrhing to do with the fact that this is day 145 for her? I hope it will increase over the next hours.

BTW...She is 2#4oz...afterbirth has passed and Angel had molasses water and a bit of grain as well as nutri drench,baby too.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
is there any chance baby nursed already before you got out there?

Mia's udder was small and Destiny's is always small. Let me see if I can find pictures so you can compare.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
liz feel the baby's belly and if it feels full she is getting enough. If she is hunched over and looks in pain she is hungry and not getting enough. I would watch for a few hours and see how things go.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I think that is a good enough size to feed her little girl. It will get bigger as Gem demands more milk.

As long as Gem's belly feels full, she plays and sleeps fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

Looks like Gem is nursing now??

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wow that is one small udder. She should have colustrum in it though and her milk may not have come in yet. She is young and that may be part of it who knows. The baby nursing should bring it in. Just watch and make sure the baby is pooping and peeing as that shows me more than anything else that they are getting something when nursing.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes she has been nursing, you can hear her sucking and slurping so that's good, I did give her an ounce of the colostrum I had frozen just in case, and immediatly after she went to her mom and found a teat so I do hope her milk comes in soon. She does have some there, it seemed enough to satisfy Gem. I am so glad that Angel did well, I feel so bad that I wasn't with her and I had Tilly in the other kidding stall so Angel had her baby with Binky and her twins watching over her, maybe Binky even helped to clean up this baby, I don't know...she is a lively lil' girl. Angel is being very good as a mommy too.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
well thats great. I am sure all was fine as she kidded. I won't have enough stalls for everyone this year so it will be interesting for me as well with all of them due so close together

1 - 20 of 33 Posts