Angie acting off

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Jun 29, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am headed out the door for a few hours but this is what I am experiencing

Last night I made her feed one of the quads which she wasnt very happy to do. I did this twice and I fed her extra each time (but not a lot extra just like a treat). all the goats had big rumens when I left them last night

This morning I went ot milk her and she wasnt at the door she was out in the pen so I went to get her and she ran from me - totaly NOT like her at all!!

THen I finally got her on the milking stand - she stood great and I milked her. But she wouldnt eat. I figured it was because her baby boy was screaming for her in the stall.

But when I put her out with him she wouldnt eat still.

Then I put her hay out and she wouldnt eat her hay!!

So I took her temp: 101.9
    Gave her nutri drench - 8ccs
    Gave her 2ccs of B complex IM
    About to give her wormer (eyelids pale but nto sure if thats because she isnt feeling well but it certainly wont hurt her to be wormed as she hasnt been wormed in a long while).

Ideas?

she kidded on April 25th

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, What about some Calcium? I would get her some. Also, do you know if she is drinking? I would give her some either Molasses water (That is always my first choice), or some other electrolyte.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would try some calcium just in case.

Is it possible she ate anything she shouldn't have?

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would definitely do some calcium, the low temp/acting off, sounds like it could be calcium related.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree calicium is a good idea..... :thumbup:

Also ..her rumen may be off ...so I would recommend ...giving her Probiotic Paste and baking soda... :wink:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Grandmom said she nibbled on hay but wasnt real real interested.

I will give her what I have that is VERY simular to a probiotic possibly even better for her and some molasses water.

I do have calcium but I am not so totaly sure she needs it.

I am thinking more like --- she ate to much last night (or I fed her to much) so she is feeling like an upset stomach

her temp is normal for her 101.9 isnt low for her

Will take her temp when I get out there to give her the other stuff.

Thanks all

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Temp is aprox 102.5 (cant remember the .00 somethign but it was near there) we have to be near 75-80 now

And she didnt want the molasses water - I syringed some into her but not much

She took the Jump start gel (like the probios) and loved it

Ears are still down some but her tail is up now. Her interest in food is still there but not real strong. Just nibling on hay in the hay feeder. But anything is better then nothing.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd try a couple tums. It will help her tummy if it is upset and give her calcium.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh good thinking. I was just thinking about how she hates the calcium gel stuff and that it kind of burns their mouth or something and makes them less likely to eat at first till it goes away.....but tums would work.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when out to give the tums and she came right up to me :leap: so she took the 3 tums I gave her. Fought off Sweet Pea to get the last one. So I think she is feeling better :thumb:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, has she been in heat since she delivered?

All gave wonderful advice as to what to give to help perk her up and I can't think of much more to add but, I noticed with my girls having the first heat after delivery during a warm spell makes them all goofy...not eating or wanting bothered.

Glad she has perked up for you :hug:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes I would have mentioned calcium as well but glad to hear she is doing better!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy... she is improving.. :leap: ...yup ...sounds like a tummy ache.... :wink: :greengrin:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she sounds like she's getting better! must have just been an off day for her.