Angie has diarrhea!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Feb 28, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Arg now Angie is sick! Guess she was jealous of her brother. She has really smelly diarrhea. At first it looked a lot like the strongid dewormer paste but now it is really watery like yellow chalk and water. I gave her 1 and a half cc pepto. Should I be worried? Should I see if I can take a sample into the vet? These goats are going to make me :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a sample to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea. You already did what I would have done with the pepto.

First thought is ecoli since you said it is pale in color??

reading right now in my big vet book - will let you know if I come up with anything

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ahh these goat are going to make me broke lol. Anyways I am going to the barn to take her temp now. I just got a new thermometer the other kicked the bucket today! I think I am going to call my vet to make sure I shouldn't take her in. Since she is only a week old it worrys me.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well her temp was 101. She is still drinking milk from her mom fine. I can tell she doesn't feel right but I would feel silly calling the vet right now. If she is still scouring tomorrow then I will call.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't bring the goat in, I would just take a sample to the vet.

I would wait it out and see.

Can you give some details on the goats, age, when the diarrhea started, what color it is etc.

I was reading up on diarrhea in goats and I have some ideas but don't want to throw things at you that aren't relevant

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I guess I was just over reacting because she is good tonight. Playing and jumping around like normal. Her poo is pretty firm now. So I feel much better tonight.

She is a week old and it just started this morning. It was yellow like strongid dewormer in every way this morning. Tonight it was more a brown yellow and more like a dog poo. I think she ate some of her moms grain and it upset her tummy.

Sorry for going crazy lol. I am just on edge since her poor brother Bambi last night. He is really crazy today. My mom said thats from the steroids. I guess it can make people manic. So, I had a manic goat baby today!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that is perfectly fine. You noticed something and were on top of it. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Its a happy thing when all is well :dance: