Angora bucks looking for a home on the East Coast

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by Liz Gipson, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Liz Gipson

Liz Gipson New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Hi! I received this message from a friend in Charlottesville, Virginia. She is trying to help find a home for 15 angora bucks. It sounds like they may be some nice colored stock in the mix. I am hoping someone on this list might know of a good home or a goat rescue for all or some of these animals. Thanks!

A friend died recently. He was an amazing man, Don Cecil, known as the goat man. He took care of his elder wife who had a stroke for 15 years, he quit his job as a teacher of foreign language. He not only took care of his wife, but got Angora goats, emu, geese and lammas. He took pride in developing different colors of goats and had a name for each of 50 goats, as he would not allow them to be sold for meat. His wife died in the spring and he got pancreatic cancer and died 6 months later. The family is having a meeting with the lawyer to try to figure out what to do with all of the animals. They have 7 or 8 lammas,the non spitting variety. One of them and her baby give kisses. If you know of anyone who would be interested in them, let me know. They have about 15 male angoras that are in danger of being sold for meat. I have suggested the farm where Brittany works, Innisfree and Whisper Ridge. Don would roll over in his grave if he knew they were sold for meat. Thanks, Janice

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome to the Goat Spot. :wave:

I am so sorry to hear about the tragic loss. What a shame.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey, It just hit me :hammer: Is this Liz that bought my babies?

I hope so. If so I am glad you joined.

4. Liz Gipson

Liz Gipson New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Yep that's me! I'm still in the process of dividing the fence. Zeus has decided that he is going to get into the action and be rude. He and Diva make a perfect couple.

Hey I have a questions--what do you do for bedding? Everything I put down they eat! I can't keep much matter on the floor of their barn and it sure is cold out there.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It would depend on what type of bedding has been used...I don't know if it would be different for the fiber goats than it is for others....a suggesstion though would be to fill a rack or baskets with hay, pack them full, this will give them something wholesom to work on as opposed to eating their bedding. BTW Welcome! You must have some special goaties as mine will not eat anything that they have stepped on. lol

6. griffin45

griffin45 New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Chatham, Va
    Hi I just joined the other day. I hate to see these goats go for meat, but dang! That is a lot of bucks to deal with. I will answer up for a couple to keep them from going to meat and maybe I can cross them with my Cashmeres. Let me know if I can help.

Chris
    Chatham, Va. e-mail Griffin45@live.com

7. griffin45

griffin45 New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Chatham, Va
    and depending on timing I may be able to transport within a reasonable distance...

8. griffin45

griffin45 New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Chatham, Va
    I just spoke with my wife... depending on cost we may take up to 5... all I can say is she likes goats... what to do with 5 Angora bucks... she says fencing is my problem... two weeks ago I couldn't even spell Angora :ROFL: