Angora Fiber Question

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by powderhooves, Feb 1, 2009.

1. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I've been cleaning fleeces and have noticed the colored fleeces have attracted less vegetable matter than the white fleeces which are horrible. Does anyone have any idea why? Also my little white wethers with the finest curls are the worst. Thank you.......

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes, finer fleeces tend to attract more VM contamination because they tend to be 'fluffier' and more open than stronger fleeces

maybe you can just see the VM easier in the white vs coloured fleeces? I can offer any input other than that, I dont have any coloured angoras

3. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    I think it is just the temperament of the individual goats in how willing they are to get dirty. We started shearing our colored goats. Some were very dirty and matted, but one wether was amazingly free of mattes and VM even though he was in the same pasture as the others. We have one colored newborn who likes to lay under the feeder, she is filthy with VM while our other newborns aren't nearly as bad.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Becky,

How are the goats coming along? Do you have any babies yet?

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I have the same problem with my pygoras. Norbert, one of my Type A's, is nicknamed Dirty Boy cause dirt and every spec of hay & seed seems to be attracted to him. Jerry, a type C, had suprisingly clean fleece. :shrug:

Attached Files:

6. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i'm a newbie to fiber goats but i would think that they fluffier goats would get more contaminated becuase the wool in general. like the goats are the fluffy side of a velcro and everything wants to stick to it. maybe they all get the same amount of contaminates but some wool types hold it all and some drop more of the contaminates.