angora mix?

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by sgian, Apr 8, 2009.

1. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    How can you tell on an older goat if it is cashgora? Is getting a micron count the only way? Is there any term for an angora mix?

Our first angora turns out not to have been a pure angora. We got her at the sale barn, and she is partly lame as you can see from the pic (just so you all know it isn't our negligence that she got that way). While shearing, we noticed that the fleece didn't feel or cut like the angoras, and a close look revealed some white guard hairs. I just carded some and my wife will spin it so we'll see how it comes out.
    [​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    from her face she almost looks part boer?

i thinkm ocron counts are the only way of telling

we have some angora people that can tell for sure though.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    She kinda looks like a Pygora? How big is she?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I as going to say the same thing, but she looks a little big. She looks more like my cashgora. Yes a Micron Count id s the only real true 100% way of knowing, but I cantell you that she is not all Angora at all. I would almost bet she is cashgora. Cashmere and Angora. She is sure cute. how old is she? Do you have others?

5. sgian

sgian New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    missouri
    She is big, as big as or bigger than my purebred angoras.

We think she is old. Her teeth are worn down, and my wife thinks that
    based on the scrappy tag she is 9. I have my suspicions about assuming
    that the scrappy tag indicates age. Mildred is our only mix, the other angoras
    are purebred from a registered colored angora breeder. We have pictures of
    them at our webpage... http://cherryoakfarm.webs.com/productpage.htm (please
    excuse the ugly shearing job we did) and the 4 kids born this year http://cherryoakfarm.webs.com/othergoats.htm

My wife spun some of Mildred's fleece and crotcheted a small sample. It was definitely
    spinnable, but scratchy. The fleece is rougher than our purebred angoras, even our 11 year old.
    I guess there goes our hope for it being cashgora. Maybe it is "boergora". The fleece would however
    make for a good rug or perhaps a blanket. Thank you everyone for your replies.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Actually I would say she is a very old purebred.
    You might be surprised at her age, if she could tell you.

To me, she is at least 10, I would put her at maybe twelve.
    The hair looks about right for an aged doe - better than some of my veterans.
    The coarse white hairs you saw are kemp - not unusual for an aged doe to go kempy.

Also not unusual for an aged doe to blow out in the micron - thats why she feels scratchy - fibres over 30 micron have a prickle factor.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If she is that big, I would almost say she is Cashgora. She has a adorable face like my Sophie. Sophie is Cashgora, and she was that curly, but now it is a lot straighter then it was.

Sophie has won lots of shows because her fiber is so long and beautiful, but NOT Cashmere quality nor is it Angora.

If you go to my site www.freewebs.com/sweetgoats, go under the does, you will see my Sophie. She is 9 years old now so she does not have the slight rings like your doe does.

Also, the Scrapie tag has NOTHING to do with the age of the goat.