Angora with Allergic Reaction

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by omarable, Aug 1, 2010.

1. omarable

omarable New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Has anyone had an angora who had an allergic reaction with the only symptom being lethargy and that she felt like she had a 3/4 inch pad slipped under the skin on hewr underside from her chest to her udder.
    I lost one of my does several weeks ago with this condition. She had no fever, diarrehea and was eating well. The only sign that something might be wrong was that she was a little lethargic. I put her and her baby in a seperate stall to make sure she ate and was not bullied. Checked her at midnight and everything seemed fine. When I went to the barn the next morning at 5 AM, she had passed away and was cold and stiff.
    Now her baby(Ian) has this same 3/4" pad on his underside. The vet thinks it is an allergic reaction but does not have any idea to what.
    Ian is on antihistamines and antibiotics by the vet and I have add vitiman B complex to the mix. The vet says that the 3/4" padding is swelling and the antihistamines will make it go down. So far there has been some decrease in swelling but it is still there. Ian is eating, has no fever or diarrehea but is a little lethargic just like his mother was.
    Has anyone experienced or heard of anything like this?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hi
    I've never heard of anything like this.
    but I'll bump it up to the top

3. omarable

omarable New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I should have added the following:
    The doe(Buffy) was current with her CD&T shot and worming, although I am lucky enough to have very few worms or eggs show up in testing.
    Buffy and the other angora are kept on indoor/outdoor carpet, to keep the fleeces free of debris, and each morning and evening all "poop" is removed and bagged. Every second or third day the carpets are removed, hosed down and dried in the sun.
    So far, thank goodness, no one else in the herd, except Ian, seems to be affected. I am checking constantly.
    Buffy had a twin sister, Mocha, and neither she nor her daugther seem affected but since there has been on the lethargy as a symptom, I pray a lot.

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    So sorry you lost mom. :rose: I sure hope you find out what's going on and Ian has a full and expeditious recovery.

Deb Mc

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what does the vet think they had an allergic reaction to?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    seems odd... you would think the vet would give epinephrine and antihistamine :scratch:

7. omarable

omarable New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    My normal vet is on vacation(of course). He will not be back until next week. His fill-in has no idea of the allergic agent but the good news is that he is a goat vet and actually has boer goats. My vet, the only large animal vet for 60 miles, is a horse/cattle vet and only does goats when he has to.

Ian was affected Saturday night at about 7:00 PM EST and the fill-in vet is about an hour and a half away so all we did was talk on the phone. So far, Ian is doing well and today the swelling is about a third what it was Saturday night at midnight. He is eating well and taking his bottle. I have let him out into the barn paddock for a while this afternoon since it does not appear that whatever this is, is contagious.

The fill-in vet said that as long as Ian is improving not to make the long trip to see him which would create a lot of stress for Ian.

8. gr8guy

gr8guy New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Did you ever determine the cause of the alleged reaction? The reason I ask, is because earlier today (around 1pm), I noticed one of my younger does with a very swollen backside. At first glance, I thought she was just going into estrus, and everything will be OK tomorrow.

Later on (3 or 4 pm), I noticed this same doe separated from the herd, acting kinda spaced out intermittently, and a slight temperature 102.8. I live in South Georgia, and I could have had a temp that high also. But I have learned that sickly (Boer) goats can appear to be fine in the morning, and dead that night. Subsequent temp checks found the temp to be 104. I have a good relationship with my Vet, and we are leaning more towards metritis. With that in mind, I gave her Banamine, B-12, and Pen-G (I realized later on that LA-200 is better for metritis). My concern with a dx of metritis is odd for a doe that is only 1.5 years old. She did have dystocia on her first (and only) paturition a few months ago but the placenta was passed so I am not sure if this could be a contributing factor.

I am wondering if the doe has had an allergic reaction to something. While at the same time trying to determine what it could be since no other animals are presenting with this problem (yet). Should the unfortunate happen, I will certainly have a necropsy done to find cause but I don't want to lose a valuable member of my goat family.

9. Welcome to both of you!
    I hope your goats are doing better. The 102.8 temp is normal and not high but the 104 is high. Could it have been a bug bite swelling?