"Animal Tested Suspect for CL".......Wait a WHAT

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FoxRidge, May 22, 2020.

1. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Ok so I received our Bio Security panel back and was all excited until I saw this little tidbit at the end..... I have never seen or felt a lump on Lorraine ever! Not that that means anything but OMG, panic mode engaged!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I forgot the pictures UGH, but the CL Results and Lorraine, How scared should I be?? Cause I am full fledged "should I cull Lorraine" mode now!

Attached Files:

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Hmmmm isn’t there supposed to be numbers with the cL part of it? Like what the other 2 has that shows just how suspected it is?
    Either way I wouldn’t flip out right now. Wait the 4 weeks and go again. The test for CL is not really the best on being accurate so no flipping out just yet.
    BUT just a FYI some goats can be positive and never have a abscess, it all just depends on how well the body fights it.

4. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I was all excited to be possibly mixing all the girls milk from now on, do I dare with the possibility? I mean for Kid consumption? Or should I just dump it?

5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I made the mistake of testing while my bucks were strong in rut and they tested marginal which freaked me out. My does and wether were all negative. After talking with the lab, they said stressors such as strong in rut, vaccines, etc can lead to the marginal reading. All mine tested negative the year prior (the new addition had been tested by his prior owner) and we’ve never had any abscesses. It was also explained to me that CL is a herd test, so a marginal here or there with a mostly negative herd is considered a negative herd.

Now my test results all had numbers associated with it and my marginals were all barely above the cut off for negative. Maybe call the lab for more clarification on what they mean by suspect.

Also, you may want to edit out your personal info from the pics.

Moers kiko boars and FoxRidge like this.
  6. DonnaBelle66

DonnaBelle66 Active Member

OK. Tests for CL are notoriously unreliable.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    You don't have to dump the milk :) If she does come back positive, I would suggest giving everyone the vaccine, so nobody else gets the lumps, but they test positive for a few years :)

8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree you won’t have to dump the milk. It’s easy to tell if she happens to have a abscess in her udder and even if she does it’s going to drain coming out not into the milk.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.

What a scary thing to see.
    And they did not put in detail findings.

10. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I have never ever felt a lump anywhere one her, aside from post CD&T shots but you know thats normal. It really caught me off guard. I do wish they had an explanation of the findings along with that suspect reading, were her numbers close or high? Anything would have been nice.

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If you call the lab you might be able to get an exact titer on the CL test, but I'm not sure it's worth worrying about. The CL test is not the most reliable.

After doing the CL test for a few years I'm feeling less and less confident that it's worth all that much as an indication of infection in individual animals. I feel like it's more a waste of money and a cause of unneeded stress than an actual help in some situations. I've had bogus results three times now. One doe tested positive last year and "marginal" this year. No matter what happens, the titer on a goat that is truly CL positive is never going to go DOWN, yet this doe's did. Another doe tested marginal this year and I'm sure it was from stress. None of my goats have ever had lumps, and the two that had dodgy results were two of the younger ones with the least exposure to anything outside my own property.

CL testing is a good way to judge CL prevalence in your herd, but the odd marginal or low positive in an otherwise negative herd (unless the goat was brought in from outside) is not a cause for panic.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

That looks like a UBRL report. I'd call them- Omar and Amar are really helpful. I'd not panic yet, wait and re-test. Often the second test will be negative.

Moers kiko boars and FoxRidge like this.
  14. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Omar has been very helpful through the whole thing. I had sent an email to him but it was too late in the day. I left a phone msg too!

15. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    They are so great, really. I should send them a gift for all the help they gave me during a Johnes disaster. Thanks for posting this and reminding me!

FoxRidge and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I remember your post from that!

17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    He really is great. Poor Man I had him on the phone taking my hand yesterday walking me threw a milk pregnancy test. And he is like that in person too! The first time I showed up with 5 test tubes and handed it to him and a check lol he sat me down and with the forum and showed me how to do it correctly next time lol

18. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Oh gah ubrl!?!?! I have had one new goat come in this year.... but their herd tests yearly and are alwayys clean of their testing too. My jade tested suspect for johnes and two of my bucks suspect for cl. :/. This was my first year using them and i am like huh!? But... jade was a month from kidding and the bucks... one i had have the vet poke cause i could not get blood on him and the other we had in a stall for most of the day cause he is hard to catch. So i think stress for the bucks and just preg hormones for jade. But it is still frustrating that i need draw again and spend more moolah to prove my herd is clean. ;/. Maybe they read theirs at different “numbers” than other labs? I DO agree with others they ARE super kind and will answer any questions that you have. And not act like you are inconveniencing them.

19. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Alright! So even though it is Sunday, Amar called me back from the lab! Not Omar but Amar! lol He explained everything very clearly! She was on the very low end of suspect/stressed levels. He also said that most animals when retested at that level after 4-6 weeks decrease in numbers and are therefore just stressed and not infected. If the levels rise over the time though then you might actually have an issue. He said not to worry and if I am scared or have anything to worry about as per say a sudden lump to keep her separate. But this is not the case. So I am very very hopeful :)