Animal Therapy?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Has anyone ever used a goat to take to children's hospitals (or hospitals in general) for therapy? I think I'd like to do this with one of my goats. (hopefully Lyric will give me a girl and I can use her) Do they even allow goats to do this? My cousin had cancer at one point and I've been thinking about this since she got it.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have never done it but have heard that it is quite possible. The person I know of that did this took two Pygmy goats into senior homes. The Pygmies wore a little "diaper" to catch goat berries and pee. I believe they were both does. They are a hit in the home and everyone loved them. We have thought of doing this but haven't done so yet. . . . I would be more likely to take a smaller baby. . . .

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    That's awesome! Do you know how I figure out what I need to do to be able to do this? I know there's probably paper work and stuff and people that I need to contact.

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would contact the hostpital you want to do this at and see if they will let you do it and go from there...

I don't know much about it, but my grandma works at a mentally disabled home, and she brings everyone out from time to time to see our animals.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Maddie and I do this. I am just finishing up her certification. I takes quite a while and several visits to different places, and assessments by the people.

You ahve to have the right animal - not every animal is going to want to do it. They need to be people orientated but very very calm - they need to be able to cope with the different smells and sounds of a hospital - walking on different surfaces, carpet, tiles, lino etc. They need to be VERY good in small confined spaces and not move a foot until you tell them to, so they dont knock things over. They need to be good with people and not mind if people are poking, prodding, pulling their ears or tail, screaming at them, or hugging them. They need to be able to take all of that because that is what you can expect from children or the mentally ill. Waving arms, flapping things, loud noises, etc.

Maddie wears a doggy diaper in a large size with changeable pads, so that if she piddles or poos she doesnt make a mess. She knows several commands:

Hop in/up - get into the car (ute now!) or up on something (works well on big steps etc)
    Walk on
    Stay - this tells her she is not to move a muscle
    Wait - a variation on stay, she has to stay where she is but she can move around a little, lie down if she wants to
    Leave - if she wants to chew/play with something, I tell her to leave it.

These help a lot with controlling her. She walks on a halter and lead and she wears a large dog/mini horse rug - a thick one in winter, a thin one in summer - which helps to minimise the hair we leave behind. She gets a really good scrub before she goes, which includes her feet - probably the most important bit to get all the muck out.

Cant help alot with who to contact and so on cos I'm in Australia. But I can tell you it is a very rewarding experience.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Thanks! Lyrae may be able to do it, although I may wait until I (hopefully) get a doeling out of Lyric. I'll start looking into it. :greengrin:

7. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Pancakes is a therapy animal and is restered in the state of PA as one. He gose into nursen homes, day cares, and also preschools. They can not chew on anything. You still have to bath them before they go into the setting. Pampers works the best for there little bottoms. If you can dress them up a bit they also love it too. They has to be willing to be touch anywhere and I do mean anywhere. Suggestion about the diaper. Put it on where the front is up and make sure there is a tail hole. Pan hates it when I forget his tail hole. If you want to chat about any info PM me and we can. I have no problems in helping people about this. I think goats should be used more for this type of Theraphy.

8. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    This is wonderful and I applaud you all for doing this sort of work! :hi5:
    We all know how being with our goats make us feel and I can't think of anything better than sharing that joy with others!

9. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Coraxfeather~ That sounds great! I will pm you soon. :hug:

KikoFairie~ That's kind of how I came up with the idea, the goats make me feel soooo much better when I'm around them so I thought that since my cousin's all liked them too, that maybe some other people would enjoy it.

10. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    My doe Sunshine is used as a therapy animal at a senior center. The woman who takes her said it is the highlight of the week for the elderly patients there. They are more attracted to Sunshine then any of the other type of animals ever brought in. Let's just say she is a "STAR" to them.
    So yes, goats can be used as therapy animals and are... so it is a fabulous idea and hope you decide to take this into action. We all on here know just how special these goats are, so why not use their unique personalities to help others. I am sure those in need of a "pick me up" would love having you visit with a therapy goat.

These are some pictures sent to me of Sunshine on one of her visits... just look at those happy faces...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Wow Tina that's awesome! (and that doe is adorable) Do you think it will be harder since my girls are full sized instead of the mini's? I really think this is something I'd like to do.

12. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I'm looking into this again now that summer is coming up and that I have two doe kids that I can try and work with. Plus I'm doing my term paper over it.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think that if the can use large dogs then you can use a large goat -- they get to pet it and if she is gentle enough she may even putt a hoof on their lap like a dog will.

14. njs657

njs657 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    I am so glad I found this site! I have three therapy goats that I want to get certificates for and ID Cards for. I live in New York State, but I don't know where I can register them. I am hoping someone can help me with this. Thanks for all the post on therapy goats. I can attest to them being the best therapy/medicine there is!

15. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    My doeling, Patti, is in training for this. :)

16. S+S Homestead

S+S Homestead Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Southeast, NC
    I agree that goats are very therapeutic but I was told recently that they can carry e-coli so they are not allowed in situations that include children or the elderly. This information came from a local person in rural NC, so I am asking for clarification. I would love to train one of my soon-to-be-born babies for this type of activity.

17. goathiker

goathiker I'm spying on you Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Delta Society is the one that does the training and testing for full Certification. They also test and train YOU as the animals handler must be able to handle some of what you see in a hospital. Yes, there are some rules for how the goat must be kept and what tests must be done. There are however, vaccines for things like E-coli and Staff infections, we just don't use them normally.
    Here is a link to their website http://www.deltasociety.org/

18. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Does anyone have any more info on this? I'm an Occupational Therapy Assistant student and would love to incorporate animals into therapy, though I know there isn't alot of info on it yet in the field. I also would like to open my own Hippotherapy (horse therapy) farm though its prob not feasible due to costs, but it would be awesome to combine work and play! :)

19. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I think it's a wonderful idea as long as you are prepared for the realities of this kind of situation and can handle it. I can't. Please don't forget about all the people in nursing homes, VA hospitals, and other places that might benefit from a visit from a friendly, loving, personable goat, too. I am a big believer in animal therapy and I have a lot of admiration and respect for people who can do what you are thinking of doing. I truly believe you can make a difference in a lot of people's lives.

20. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    I heard that they're great healing animals.

Goat Lady