Animals most Disliked

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TexasGoatMan, Jan 6, 2020.

1. rebelINny

rebelINny Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Coyotes are #1 most hated in my book. I've dealt with some big packs in the past that would take weaned goat kids right out of the pasture in the middle of day. Rip a pregnant ewe open just to get the unborn lambs and kill my beloved house raised goat at four years old. I hate 'em like nothing else.
    #2 Rats. Nasty vermin. The old place I lived at, they were there from before I lived there and they are just vile, destructive pests, leaving feces and disease behind.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Thanks for the replies and now I don't feel so different after all ! :bonk:

3. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Bald Eagles and hawks.

The coyotes aren’t a problem where I’m at, they stay on lower ground to avoid our crazy high cougar population. The cougars aren’t a problem as they avoid dogs.

We have bear, opossums, raccoons, foxes, and bobcats but they’ve been easy enough to fence out the chicken runs and don’t threaten the goats or cows so it’s live and let live. I do love hi charged electric fence!

Hawks are horrible though. They hunt our chickens like crazy. We had a nesting pair of Redtails that forced me to run wire and fishing line over the top of our 2 50’x75’ chicken runs! They were getting a hen or two a day and would even get into the coop through the chicken door!

Bald Eagles are probably my #1 most hated animal. I’m in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and late winter/early spring is lousy with baldies as its lambing/kidding season. They perch in the oak trees in every lamb and goat pasture around. I’ve seen 9 baldies in a single tree. They grab lambs or kids and fly them straight up and then drop them. If they put that on a nature show folks might understand why some farmers hate them so much!

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I once had a falcon try to take a calf right out of my hands. That was in Jefferson county.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  5. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    As an owner(?) of snakes and various other reptiles, snakes definitely won't be on my list. Maybe I'm a bit biased :D(I can definitely see how they cause problems though. Rattlesnakes scare me!) But my top 3

#1 Dogs. If they aren't mine, they aren't welcome! I have had so many issues with other people's dogs coming into my yard, ripping through trash, chasing my animals, killing my animals, etc. If you can't control your dog, don't get one!

#2 Cats. Same as with dogs. Mine are okay, but I get so sick and tired of seeing other cats taking wildlife. There were so many birds 4 years ago. I would have as many as 20 nests in one tree, at one time, every year from march-august. My neighbors got "barn cats" and they weren't fixed. Went from 4 cats to dang near 20 now(and that's with population control!). I am lucky if I get to see 5 nests in one tree. Even then, the fledglings are killed as soon as the leave the nest. The effects cats have on wildlife is devastating :(

#3 Mosquitos. No explaining need. They are incredibly annoying in every way.

Honorable mentions
    Flys, Coyotes, Skunks, Racoons, Black bears, Lice, Gnats, Mite.

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Any bird of prey, we have falcons, hawks and a few sea Eagle species, and they all love chickens, pigeons, kittens, and other small animals.
    Last summer we lost several chickens, 6 or 7 pigeons, and almost lost a full grown cat to bird of prey attacks.
    We also have mink and racoon dogs (am not sure what they are called in English, but that's the closest direct translation) and they will try to steal eggs and kill our birds if they can.

7. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Coyotes! I've lost many, many good cats to them over the years. There is no creature on God's green earth that has caused me as much heartbreak as the coyote, and although I recognize their place in the ecosystem, I absolutely despise them.

Raccoons are a solid second. They've always freaked me out, with their tiny little hands, but my opinion of them dropped considerably lower last summer when one started helping itself to my chickens. I even found myself one night outside in my pajamas at 11:00 yelling and chasing a raccoon with a pitchfork. Thank goodness we don't have close neighbors.

Skunks are quickly losing their charm as well. They live under some sheds on the property and come out to eat the cat food. They also eat the eggs from my free range ducks. The population is growing and they're getting more bold and I am getting tired of their shenanigans and their little fart puffs!

And then there are the obvious, less predatory ones that everyone hates. Like the gophers that are the reason I cant have a vegetable garden, and the mice that are ruining my brand new car, and my neighbors.

8. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Raccoon dogs and sea eagles? Goodness, where do you live?

9. Lindan

Lindan Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Denmark... We have the ocean all around us:) they are the smaller variety of sea eagles as far as I understand.
    I just looked it up and apparently the raccoon dog is called a tanuki, I have no idea if it's an introduced species or something,... My sister always get excited when she sees one, I just wish I had a hunting license to get rid of them:heehee:

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    12 gauge with rock salt works really well.........
    SSS works too!
    :):D

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Mink...I didn't even know they existed in Ohio until one mink killed 20 chickens in one night. Next day it came back to kill the last remaining chicken but hubby was waiting for it with his crossbow...hubby won.

CBPitts and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    After going on a pack trip with them two summers ago, my least liked animals might now be llamas. I'll take three packgoats over one llama any day of the week!

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I didn't know that minks kill muskrats! (And baby beavers). We caught one in a live trap and debated what to do with it. When we found out it was a muskrat killer, we let it go by our pond! Haven't had any muskrats but do have beaver. (And in the beaver war, they are winning, so far.....)

14. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Skunks right now...yesterday it got two of my daughters favorite chickens ...ugh! Not to mention it sprayed by my back door so the whole house stinks ...
    Got a live trap out and once it's caught it's going to be pushing up daisies ...

15. JearDOE Ranch

JearDOE Ranch Active Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    I say rats. Not mice, but big nasty rats. We do have coyotes here, but we live close to coyote hunters. I hear the coyotes at night, but we haven't had any issues.

But the rats! They've eaten the wires in my car, nesting under my hood. I now keep my hood popped. Our feed storage is mouse and rat proof, but man can they tear up some equipment! We have a dog that likes to eat them so we have to deworm her regularly, but she has kept the population in check.

16. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    @JearDOE Ranch

Yes! We have packrats and ground squirrels! They are the bane of barns. They tear into everything and dig all the rock out of the base of the barns. Twice a year I have to pull all the mats up and add gravel and repack it all down!

JearDOE Ranch likes this.