The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, my goat Stella was kicked above her front hoof by my horse. She was bleeding moderately, so I cleaned her with betadine and applied blood stop powder. The wound isn't a laceration, it's more like the kick took off several layers of skin.

The trouble is, she's won't bear weight on the hoof and has been grinding her teeth occasionally ever since. I gave her some herbal immune support liquid last night, and this morning I checked her temp (101.3), rinsed her leg with cold water for about 15 minutes (it was a bit swollen,) and gave her 4000mg vit C and 120mg aspirin.

I'm just hoping nothing is broken... :( Is there any way of knowing without taking her to the vet for scans? I can't afford another vet bill for this silly little goat.

I've been kicked by a horse in the leg before without breaking anything and I know how much it hurts. I limped for a week. If it makes a difference, the horse is a barefoot Arab and the goat is a Nigerian/Fainter cross.

Thanks!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I think she may need banamine, that will help with the swelling. A vet visit may be in order ...

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not hot to the touch and hardly swollen. :/

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course, now that I've gotten worried about it, she is getting better. I rinsed off the leg again this evening, gave her some more IST, probios, an an aspirin. She put the hoof down and put weight on it while eating. I guess that means she's on the mend?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I would still give her the banamine, like Danielle said, for the pain. If she is weight-bearing, and starts to get better, then it may heal up on its own.

My cat fell out of a tree onto her leg (cats always land on their feet, har-har) and broke a piece OUT of it (above her elbow). The vet said 1,700 dollar surgery for pins/plates, or amputation. We brought the cat home and 4 weeks later she has not the slightest hint of a problem. She walks completely normally and is in no pain. Animals can heal themselves pretty well sometimes ;) Just be sure she is improving and not going downhill with it. Accommodate her needs while she is still injured :)

·
goat nut
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thank you. :) I guess I'll try to get some banamine today. I haven't checked on her yet this morning...hopefully she is doing better. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts