Annoyed/Upset/Hurt etc etc etc

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, May 6, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I could go on...

Basically, i came home today at lunch time from 5 days at work, and found the Last Sheep lambing.

Except - she wasn't exactly lambing. She HAD been lambing. As in - a day ago? two days ago? who knows. She was sitting in the pen grinding her teeth and looking miserable, so I caught her, lifted her tail and saw a scrunched up grey rotten looking sack hidden under her tail.

OK. Work time. Went to the house got hot water, soap, and someone to help me. Once I managed to force myself in through the already closed birth canal and cervix, I found 2 massive hoofs and no head. The feet twitched. The lamb was alive!

After tying ropes to his feet and trying to keep my fingers at the back of his head and pulling with the other guy pulling on the feet... nothing happened. 30 minutes of trying. Still nothing happened.

RIGHT. Rang the vet - bring her right in!

Got the guy to phone my dad while I was phoning the vet. Then went back up to the barn and dad and Bill had decided to load the sheep in the trailer before putting the trailer on the car... good idea so that she didn't have to walk. Right? Weeeelll not quite. It WAS a good idea and all... but once Bill and I lifted the sheep onto the back of the trailer... the front of the trailer went up, back of the trailer went down, and banjaxed my foot. And my shoulder (not so bad).

So I fell to the floor screeching. Finally got the sheep loaded in the trailer... at which point I was overcome with nausea from the pain and crouched down on the floor retching (it didnt help that I hadnt eaten since breakfast, and had had only 3 hours sleep the night before - by choice I may add...)

Managed to get to the car while Bill and dad hitched the trailer, then dad and I drove off to the vet's.

Got to the vet's rather later than expected due to my little incident/accident. He got her onto this ramp thing that cranked up... a bit like an operating table - very cool, my old vet just did 'em in the trailer. Anyway. That aside!

He finally got the head around with ropes etc. got him into the birth canal. Finally had to cut her around her vulva as it was so tight and the head wouldnt come through (with me pulling on the head rope, him pulling on the legs, and dad pulling on the sheep in the opposite direction). Sadly the lamb's face got cut (like Whissy's!!!) by the scalpel. Also, his jaw was broken during delivery.

Once born, he was swung around, cold water from a hose poured into his face and ears, swung around again, poked, rubbed, finally poked in the nose with a needle - and FINALLY started breathing. The vet did a great job focusing on getting him to stay alive... at this stage the broken jaw was not yet confirmed.

Meanwhile the sheep bled steadily on the operating table/ramp/trolley. Once the lamb was "alive", the vet left me to continue massaging him and helping him breathe, and delivered the second lamb without incident. He then stitched up the ewe thoroughly and came back to the first lamb.

After diagnosing the broken jaw, he asked me what I wanted to do. I said - does he have a chance? He said - if he makes it home, he has a chance BUT you will be looking after him intensively - tube-feeding him because he cannot suck.

Me: how long? will it heal?

Him: It will heal, if he survives - in about two weeks probably. But you will be tubing him until then. Don't worry, the tube may irritate and infect the throat a bit but he should be ok in that respect.

I decided... maybe wrongly... to take the little boy home and give him nursing. I am praying that if he is going to pass away, God will take him sooner rather than later so that he does not suffer. He has painkillers at the moment so he is not suffering so much, and I have tube-fed him his first colostrum.

The second lamb is loud, noisy and happy. The sheep is dead-beat, lying in her pen with no interest, staring blankly at the wall. I pray that she makes it.

The vet did an AMAZING job, I couldn't have done it on my own and the ewe would have died if he had not done what he did. It was unfortunate about the first baby's jaw, but considering the amount of pressure required to make that baby (quite large) born, in such a small birth canal, after her lambing for SO long, he did good.

As I told him - if the ewe and the one lamb lives, that's all I can expect. If the second one (first I mean) lives, that's an added bonus and I will do my best to keep him alive.

The vet says if he's not doing better in a week or two, to bring him in and he will put him down for mercy's sake.

:pray: God bless this poor sheep and her two adorable little boys. I am praying so hard for them.

LW

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    And please don't ask why my "sheep minders" didn't notice that she was lambing. Please don't ask why she was ignored so long. I don't want to go there, I don't want all the recriminations and the blame. It's all done... all over. I just pray that she is ok now.

LW

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ......what an ordeal....sorry the baby got a broken jaw over it... :( ....I will pray that the baby will heal ...and all ....will be healthy and thrive... :pray: ...The vet did a wonderful job........keep us updated...my heart goes out to you......momma and babies........ :hug: :pray:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow...what an ordeal...

I hope the best for the first little lamb and the momma...so glad the other lamb is doing okay.

You did everything you could...you should be proud of yourself. Your animals are very lucky to have someone that cares about them so much. :hug:

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    And if anyone has any suggestions for treatment of a broken jaw... let me know!!!

I dont have any baby aspirin but I was wondering if calpol would work?? At the moment he is under pain medication but I'm afraid he will hurt later on.

LW

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I tell you, you are quite the person. You are way beyond your years in experiences then I have ever seen.

I sure hoe that little one makes it and I know you will do everything you can for him. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Do you have any of your amazing pictures of the babies?

How is mom doing? I sure hope she pulls thorough for you, she is a real trooper.

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Arnica is best for healing mustles and tendons you get it at the health food store, also comfrey if you are able to poltice it daily is great for healing..
    How's your foot!!!??

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Wow that was quite a story! Hope things get easier!!

How is your foot?

I do hope that everyone survives! :rose:

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow, what a stressful ordeal. I will be thinking of all involved. :pray:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Wow, I hope everybody pulls through ok for you :hug: :pray:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ....how is your foot? :worried: :(

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    k... is the arnica for me , for the sheep , or for the lamb? =]

and my foot will be ok it's just bruised! I have put arnica cream on it.

Do you think normal aspirin will work for the lamb... I dont have baby aspirin. I have calpol too.

Poor baby 's jaw is all wobbly when I fed him just now. He had blood and birth goo coming out of the sides of his mouth because he swallowed so much of both during the birth. His mouth isn't really bleeding though, I think. He sticks his little tongue out as though he doesnt know what to do with it, and then he shakes his head and his jaw goes wobbly crazy.

I'm wondering whether to tape his bottom jaw to his top jaw? Would it stop him breathing? :| I dont know if he's still breathing through his mouth at all.

Im not sure whether to tube him again late tonight or to leave him until tomorrow. He's had about 8oz in total since being born at 4 (ish) this afternoon. (I lost count of the houuurs)

LW

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Great thinking putting the Arnica cream on your foot. But if you can get the pills give them to all of you.

I was wondering if you should use like a vet wrap to stabalize the jaw. I have never had or heard of anything like.

I would give the animals the Arnica three times a day if you cna or at least twice a day.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What a Welcome Home!!!!! Hang in there......praying for your sheep and little ones! :pray: !

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The baby with the broken jaw.....needs the jaw "totally stabilized" for proper healing....I don't know how... you will be able to tube feed and stabilize the jaw? The kid needs something for pain and antibiotics to keep infection away......A question....did the vet say... anything about doing surgery on the baby ? :worried: :hug:

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I tubed him 3 oz colostrum (Demi's, frozen) with 5mls brandy and a dissolved arnica tablet, tonight. Hopefully that will make him dozey and sleep ok. Tomorrow I will review the situation and hopefully it will look a bit better than today... I may take photos and post if anyone is interesting. Am considering putting some micropore or other surgical tape gently around his mouth to hold it closed-ish, but I cannot do that just now as he is still panting and breathing some through his mouth as his nose is quite blocked with Goo.

Sheep is grinding her teeth with a vengeance :| Other lamb is screaming his head off also with a vengeance, despite having already had 3 bottles of milk in his short life. . . Mama did eat a little grain though, which was good - not much, mind, but more than nothing!!!

LW

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    In people with broken jaws they get their jaws wired shut to stabilize it while it heals. Is it possible for you vet to do this?

I hope your foot heals fine, the ewe heals, and her kid makes it. :hug: :pray:

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A tetnus shot should be given.....but the kid may be to young... :scratch:

19. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Wow - what a terrible ordeal. I hope your foot heals quickly and that things go more smoothly for you now. I'm glad you are thinking of the little boy in this and that, if he is suffering, you are willing to put him down. If he gets better it will be because of all that you've done.. if not.. it's not your fault.

20. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry for all you're going through. What a nightmare. All I can do is send my love and best wishes. Sorry there isn't more I can do.

Just know that a lot of people care for you and are hoping for a swift and painless journey through this very difficult chapter in your life. :grouphug:

Many long-distance hugs to you and your animal buddies. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Anna