The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 boys to band and have nvr done it i can pay $110.00 for some one to band them all for me or suck it up and try do myself I know several farms (cattle) but don't know if any will have time to show me how to do I have watched a ton of videos I was wondering what your thoughts where should I pay for someone to come out and do it and watch and learn or try to do it myself?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Just do it your self w/ a banded and green bands... It would litterly be like... $20....
Its no biggie. We band my show we hers. We didn't even get any advice when I have to band my 1st 2. We just did it.
Don't over think it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great thanks goatgirl132 I am very nervous lol did you do CD&T before you banded? How old where your kids when u did it mine range from 3 weeks to 8 weeks
My next venture will be to learn to disbud my kids myself :( I hate these two jobs!! Oh do u give any pain reliever?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
I give Banamine, made a huge difference. Make sure the band is above the two testes, leave a bit of room between the band and the stomach. Soak the band and scrotum in iodine before hand ... this is what we did and it went very well. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give Banamine, made a huge difference. Make sure the band is above the two testes, leave a bit of room between the band and the stomach. Soak the band and scrotum in iodine before hand ... this is what we did and it went very well. :)
Great thank you!! Do you do CD&T ?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Gg16 nope we didn't soak the bands didn't give any shots didn't give any pain relievers. Didn't give anything. Neither did the guy I got them from.
But everyone els here will for some reason think its extremely bad but it works for us. Been some of my healthiest goats!
Just put the band on give a treat and some pets and wa-la they ran off to play.
Mine have never seemed to be in any pain either.
Make sure you don't put the band on at an angle just go straight up. That's where I think some problems come in

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gg16 nope we didn't soak the bands didn't give any shots didn't give any pain relievers. Didn't give anything. Neither did the guy I got them from.
But everyone els here will for some reason think its extremely bad but it works for us. Been some of my healthiest goats!
Just put the band on give a treat and some pets and wa-la they ran off to play.
Mine have never seemed to be in any pain either.
Make sure you don't put the band on at an angle just go straight up. That's where I think some problems come in
Great thx!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We cdt at 3-4 weeks and band at 8 weeks. I hate both those jobs but having the vet do the banding isnt going to be any better than you can do it yourself. Disbudding is a different story for me at least. I either take them to another breeder who does it for me or have the vet knock them out especially bucks as their horns are bigger quicker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts