The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Davy Hollow's Rosie had triplet bucks this morning! The family seems to be doing well, redeeming Rosie's bad track record as a mom (last year she had triplets, lost two at birth, and rejected the other later). The boys are all very cute, but we are worried about how to dehorn and wether them, as our vets prices went up by almost %100 since last year. We just can't afford those prices, and we don't have the supplies or mean to do it ourself :p We may have to sell them as horned bucks, which I'd hate to do :(

However, they are adorable, especially the biggest one! His colors are amazing!!

·
14,615 Posts
Davy all you need to do is contact a few local breeders, they would be happy to do the disbudding & banding for you & charge WAY less than a vet & probably do a better job on the horns.

Very cute kids!

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
our vet has a good price. Do you know anyone that has goats and disbudds them? We have a friend that disbudded one year for us or you could learn to do it yourself and buy the iron. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! We've named them Cotton (white), Maple (light brown), and Forest (multi color)

·
Hopelessly Addicted
2,055 Posts
The Dr. Naylor's paste is very inexpensive. Some people balk at using it, some outright tell me I'm a horrible person....but it is effective if done correctly. And you can buy an emasculatome inexpensively from Jeffers which is very easy to use....bloodless crushing of the cords when they are 6-8 weeks old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts