The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I am doing what I think is called hand-breeding for the first time. Basically I have the buck in a separate pen, and, since I only want one of my does bred right now, I bring her to visit him.

I've been putting her in with him, and he chases her and blubbers, trying to breed, but she runs away and screams. I know this means she's not in standing heat yet.

Would it be sufficient to just bring her to the outside of his fence every day and let them sniff each other, and wait till the day she shows some interest to put her in there? I did that today, and there was no interest in her part, no tail flapping or anything, so I put her back with her herd.

Is the getting chased around when she's not interested necessary? It's just a big if a hassle to get around him to get her back out again too. He's not aggressive exactly, but his manners could stand improvement.

She is a first-timer yearling, if that matters, never seen a buck before. He is a few years old and a proven breeder.

I don't want to miss a heat because the buck is on loan and I don't want to keep him longer than needed.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Yes, you can just walk her up to the fence and let them see each other. She will act totally differently when her hormones kick in!!! And by keeping her out of the pen, you will help lower her stress level when she's not ready.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts