Another CD/T question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JamieRuth, May 28, 2008.

1. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    I haven't given my does their shots yet, (have been extremely busy) two have already kidded and four more are due anytime within the next few weeks ( I don't know exactly when they were bred)
    Is it too late to give it to the rest of the does and what about the two that have already kidded? What if I give the shot and they kid the next day or two, does it do any good?
    Thanks,
    Jamie

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Give the does their shots....the kids I'd wait til they are 4 weeks ...then another dose at 7 weeks. I've done it this way fo years but I'm sure others do it differently.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    From what I read, immunitity takes a few weeks to build to it's ioghest level so the kids will not get much advantage if they are born a couple of days later. But everyone but the doe certainly does. I wonder if the antibodies pass thoguh to the milk after the colostrum is gone? I would think that it does but have never heard anyone sya.

4. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    We gave everyone their shots today. Somehow they got into the room where I keep the grain and made a complete mess and ate who knows how much food :hair:
    So we made sure to give the shots along with B-complex and baking soda. I guess I should give them some oil too?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how are they doing now? the cd/t toxoid wont' be effective for a few weeks. If they show signs of bloat or entero. then you need the cd antitoxin.

I woudl stuck with baking soda for now

6. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    Well, we lost our buck :cry: All the rest are doing fine today, they had loose stool yesterday but it is firming up now. Our buck obviously ate the most food, he probably wouldn't let the others have as much. It was so hard trying to get the remedies in him ,he was so strong and my husband and I are both sore from trying to hold him. He got watery diarrhea and we gave him electrolytes and nutridrench (along with more baking soda, we also gave him oil earlier) before we went to bed, when we got up early this morning he was already gone. I'm so thankful to God that everyone else is ok. My husband put a good latch on the door that will hopefully keep this from happening again.
    What is the difference between cd/t and cd antitoxin besides the tetanus?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The anti toxin is very fast acting, the toxoid..like the cd/t..is more a immunity over time. Most breeders will give the tetanus anti toxin when they dis bud or castrate..it's in their system asap.

So sorry you lost your buck, as you said he was bigger and more agressive so he ate the most. I have a galvanized trash can with a lid for my grain..it holds 150# at a time...handles on both sides so I stretch a bungee cord from one side to the other looped twice thru the lid handle and it's behind a locked gate.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am SO SORRY! :cry:

You did the best you could and it is so hard when it is just not enough to save them :hug:

9. JamieRuth

JamieRuth New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Bloomfield, KY
    We have our feed in galvanized cans too but they knocked over one that was about 1/4 full and there were new open bags of grain sitting in there waiting to be mixed that we had just bought.
    It is definitely a lesson learned.