The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this tonight

Didn't see it yesterday.

I have 2 goats. Both from the same breeder, and both now 3 years old.

If this was CL, can it just appear from "nowhere" ?

I'm reading about draining the abcess, but long term, what happens? Is it only contagious when there is something like this visible?

I am ultra bummed.

edit: I drained this. The pus seemed to have hair in it, almost like it was more of an ingrown hair/sebum thing. Is that possible? I didn't notice any smell to it at all, either.

· Registered
54 Posts
We had a goat that had CL and it was a "toothpaste" type cream that came out of the abcess as described on many websites I looked at. We got rid of that goat and my 5 others have had no issues!
bentmettle said:

Didn't see it yesterday.

I'm reading about draining the abcess, but long term, what happens? Is it only contagious when there is something like this visible?

I am ultra bummed.

edit: I drained this. The pus seemed to have hair in it, almost like it was more of an ingrown hair/sebum thing. Is that possible? I didn't notice any smell to it at all, either.

· Registered
54 Posts
I do have a goat that gets a staph infection every spring and has weird abcesses with hair grown into them with a ***** substance. I have found that vetericyn spray I got at my feed store works VERY well on them among other skin irritants.

salmonfisher77 said:
We had a goat that had CL and it was a "toothpaste" type cream that came out of the abcess as described on many websites I looked at. We got rid of that goat and my 5 others have had no issues!
bentmettle said:

Didn't see it yesterday.

I am ultra bummed.

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
I started my goat life working on a commercial farm 20 years ago. Before CL was even really know about. That farm also had that and CAE. So I have seen alot of both. That abscess looks to high on the cheek to be CL. Maybe its just the angle, but it does look to high. A good way to tell if a CL abscess IS really a CL abscess is the smell. When lanced, a CL will not have much of a smell to it. But every other abscess we ever lanced that wasnt CL STUNK! Putrid nasty and rotten are all ways to describe it. CL is a disease of the lymphoid. A normal abscess is an infection. Infections usually stink. A blood test will confirm for sure though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.