The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you everyone for the kind words. It was a hard lesson for me to learn here. :( Is Droncit something I can get OTC or should I purchase some from our vet? I've seen small white worms in feces before, but it was the small strongyles variety. I've never seen tapeworms, ever. Barber pole is big in this area.
Cydectin is a big wormer in our area, and maybe nobody thinks about it not killing tapeworm? Since most adult goats seem to build up immunity to it, maybe it's not much of a problem? I can guarantee we're going to treat at least twice a year for it here, more if I see any ever come back.
The vet was really shocked after the necropsy when he called me back.
I just pray the breeder treats everybody she was in the pasture with because it must have been heavy there for our little one to be so full of them in the three months she's been alive. :(
Something so preventable. It's really disheartening to me, and now I am the almost obsessed eyelid/gum checker. Nightly. I burned all of their bedding last night, soaked the shelter down in 10% bleach, gave everybody safeguard anyway until I got the Equimax today. Washed all feed buckets and the water trough with bleach. I want to set my entire pasture on fire and put the goats out with the horses in the big pasture. Not that I'm freaking out or anything! Oh yea, and tapeworms can pass to humans. I had the doeling in my utility room. Dh spent two hours hosing it down with bleach.
Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. And Cmjust0, as a retired medic I have the whole trauma kit on hand. :laugh: Just was out of LR, so had to make a pitstop to get more.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Droncit is the brand name of the praziquantel used in tablet form for worming cats/dogs....and a vet needs to prescribe the "Droncit"

The praziquantel paste is just as effective and not as expensive as the Droncit tablets. 1- 34mg tablet used to worm a dog costs $5

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for helping P7 out with her Droncit tablet question Liz, being here in Australia, I would have been asleep when you asked your question P7.
Wow, i'm surprised the vet has to prescribe the Droncit over there, here we just call into the vet and ask for a few Droncit tablets. It's usually the other way around, so many times i've been dumbfounded at how many meds you all have available without vet prescription, we can't get any kind of penacillin or many other meds here without having to get the vet out first and you can get many of yours available at Jeffers etc.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts