Another Doe with Very Loose Stool

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by newmama30+, Jan 3, 2011.

1. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I have a three yr old third freshening doe who has very loose stool. I will get a temp on her as soon as I can, She is approaching kidding. Can I give LH Scours Forte, which contains: Sulfa Trimethoprim, Kaolin, and Pectin so help stop it? I was given it by the vet in Nov when my bottle baby had Scours. he said to give 60ml/100 pounds. Or should I give her LA 200 at 1cc/20#? I am concerned that this could cause her to go in to active labor and that the kids could end up getting sick. Long Story short yes we fed some corn yesterday once in the morning and again last night as it has been rather cold, even in our heated barn. and no we don't normally feed grain. Any and all opinions appreciated.

2. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Re: Pregnant Doe with Very Loose Stool

I'd eliminate all grains, just good top quality hay, and I'm sure you'll see things get better quick. :thumb:

If not, then it's a whole-nuther ball-game... but I think she probably just wasn't used to the grains in her diet. I've found the pregnant one's to be more susceptible to feed change issues.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree... it could be feed related ...stop the grain... give her Pepto ......If she doesn't start firming up ...within a day or 2 ...I would recommend.... a fecal for cocci..... and worms.... When is her Due date?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Its not uncommon for does who are getting ready to kid to have softer stools. Only if its runny do I get concerned

5. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

well it is runny her entire back end is covered, I gave 80cc of the LH Scours, and 20 of Vit B Orally at around 12. I will get her temp when I catch her and dose her tonight, plus going to deworm her. Vet says he will be out later this week when he is in My area, he only visits farms and only comes right away if it is an ER, which she's not, she's just worrying me

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

Temp is 103 this evening

7. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

:) well the pectin in the scours meds must have kicked in she isn't pooping at the moment.

8. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN

:chin: Ok so we have 4 does up in our barn, Angel the doe I originally posted about is doing better :leap: has pellets tonight. Now the Livestock Auction doe has diarrhea, no one has had access to a large amount of grain, Angel didn't get any til last night and then only a bite as we had brought some in for the steer, Repete who I am trying to wean, and the Mini horses who get whats left after the goats get a couple bites, Repete gets 1/2 cup and the Steer ate his fill. So could as little as a couple hands full give her that much of an upset stomach? or should I deworm her and start all my goats on Sulmet for Cocci? Oh yeah and I called the vet on Monday and talked to him, He might make it out tomorrow if he is in the area (roll eyes) I don't want to medicate if I dont have to and he is going to do a fecal, but he has to get here first. So should I start it just in case?