Another fence question!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jmez61690, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jmez61690

jmez61690 New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    We have a six foot tall, wooden privacy fence around half an acre. The fence isn't in amazing shape, but we have fixed it up well enough that our two 80 pound dogs can't escape. There are no gaps, just a few places we need to resupport with concrete because it leans a little. (We just bought the house, the previous owners decidedecided it would be too expensive to pour concrete around the posts...gahh!!) I was planning on dividing the yard in half with horse fence and then letting the goats live in the back half and letting them in the front half when we can supervise. However, I read online that goats have been known to climb wooden fences. I've made sure there was nothing near the fence that would enable them to jump over, but could a ND get over it anyways?

2. jmez61690

jmez61690 New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Ignore the children...haha....but there's the fence in the background.

Attached Files:

3. showme

showme Getting Started

Apr 28, 2015
    Western Ky
    Still new myself, but I think it depends on the type of goat. I have seen some goats scale the side of a barn (although I'm not sure where they thought they get as they couldn't get past the roof overhang), but mine are pretty content to stay in cattle panel or electric. I imagine cattle panel would be easier to climb.

If you're worried, I know some people use 1-2 strands of electric along the inside or the top of the fence to keep goats off. Not sure if you'd be interested in that with the kids though.

4. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    If there is a lip or an edge they can catch their feet on they could get over it. I had my baby goat in a stall and he was alone without mommy or sister for a few minutes and next thing I know there he was. Course it was four feet not six but they have a way of figuring things out.

5. jmez61690

jmez61690 New Member

Jun 16, 2015

:/ I want to avoid using electric. I remember being a kid and getting zapped by an electric fence and it knocked me off my feet!

Hmm. Idk what to do. Lol.

6. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Put a hot wire about where that bottom horizontal board is. Game over.

7. jmez61690

jmez61690 New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    I really don't want any electric running anywhere near where my girls could be. Maybe if I ran no climb fence around the entire perimeter?

8. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Okay, no hot wire.

I would be *shocked* if a ND could get over that. If I was to spend any money on that fence, it would be to get it stood up and solid. Not to put expensive no climb, which would look silly anyway against that cool looking wood fence. JMO.

9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No climb horse fence that has the 2x4 openings. Nigerians can get their heads stuck with other stuff.

10. jmez61690

jmez61690 New Member

Jun 16, 2015

I would also be shocked if they could get over, but everyone has made comments about how they're escape artists so I don't want to assume anything!! We'll resupport the posts with concrete so that they aren't sagging and try it out. If they manage to figure out how to get over it we'll rethink it and add the no climb wire. I can't imagine those tiny goats would be able to get out of a fence that my escape artist dogs can't but, anything could happen I suppose!

11. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    If you got knocked off your feet by an electric fence that was one hot charge. There are lots of options for electric that won't knock the p out of you if you should ever decide to try it, because like they say, never say never! LOL