another fencing type ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cybercat, Jun 8, 2010.

1. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    We need to buy fencing for our chickens. We plan on getting goats later and putting them in with the chickens. We are fencing off alot of area like quarter acre. We only want to do this once so buying the right type counts now.

Ok, what we are looking at is field fencing non climbing for horses since it is a bit cheaper. Would this be OK for Lamanchas down the road? The spacing squares are an inch wide. The goat field is 2 inches wide. Is the horse non climb width OK for the goats?

Thanks.

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Not sure keeping the chickens with the goats is a good idea but whatever you do remember goats just like to jump on fences so whatever you plan make your fence decision based on the goats needs.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I have the some of the non-climb fence and that is what we use on the new land. No one can stick their heads through it. Ha.

We let our chickens free range the yard and goat pen, but the goats can't get in the chicken area. (chain link) When we let the goats out in the yard, we close the chicken pen. Goats and chicken fed are really bad... You could have very sick goats. Trust me, I think we have all prayed for goat berries after they have ate some. :laugh:

Gina

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    is ALL chicken feed bad for goats, or just the medicated stuff? (i have layer pellets in a metal garbage can - IF the goats ever got out of their pen, they could probably get into it if they really tried, so if all chicken feed is bad, i will find another location or secure it better) I would think they would go for their own feed first. And i am fanatical about making sure their pen is locked, so the odds of them getting out is slim.

I don't LET my chickens roam with the goats, however every day there are a couple hens that manage to 'fly the coop' and pop over the fence, hang out with the goats for the day, eat their food if they can get it, and fly back to their own side at night. The goats don't seem to mind, and the chickens scratch things up in their yard, so they are making themselves useful.

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    We have Nigerians (and horses in another area) and we use ONLY no-climb fence. Ours comes in 100ft rolls for about $150 (depending on whether you buy 4 ft high or 5 ft high)...kinda spendy but I totally believe that it's the safest thing possible. Can't get ANY hooves through it (or any other parts for that matter) so it prevents broken limbs, necks, etc. Plus it also assures that stray dogs cant get their jaws thru too.

6. cybercat

cybercat Owner of 4 La Manachas.

Oct 17, 2007
    East Tn
    Thanks all for the information on the fencing. Chickens free range so we have no real control over them. Goat pen will be attached to chicken coop inside this fenced area. Goats will be out ranging too of the area. Feed for chickens is in coop so not a problem. They do not eat much from spring to winter. Our place is heavly over grown with lots on good eating plants. So chickens perfer that and so will goats.

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I have the no climb for my horse and goats and I LOVE it.

The goats can stand on it - rub up against it - but they don;t try to get over it.

Love love love it.

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Walk the pasture and look for poisonous plants before you let them roam free, With all this wet weather the milk weed has been growing everywhere and that is just one.

9. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    ALL chicken feed is VERY bad for goats. DO NOT house goats with chickens. Goats will binge on chicken feed and become VERY sick. Rethink your housing plan, no ifs ands or buts. I don't mean to sound harsh, but when you've spent days and days and days nursing a goat back to health who binged on chicken feed, you won't ever, ever want to do it again.

10. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    And keep in mind, fences are like interesting puzzles for most goats, problems to be solved, obstacles to be overcome, just because they're there.

11. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    It should also be noted that you really don't want chickens around your goats if you are milking them - it is my understanding that you increase your contamination risk quite a bit by allowing the chickens to co-habitate with the goats.

I can't seem to find the section in my book about why...but when I do I will get back to you!