another ????? from the un-experienced!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....I think Jake and Elwood are on their way to being healthy.....they have finished their Cocci treatments....will have rechecked next week......should I give them something to boost them overall ? I did give them each a B1 (human tablet) yesterday.....they about ate themselves to death......I could not believe how much they ate! Then I was worried about them getting sick, but they are fine this morning. Should I do that a couple more times or give them something like Nutri-drench? They just seemed a lot more perkier after giving them the B1. Daddy also got them a big rock from a friends farm and they like that.
    Thanks, Denise from Indiana

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I would give them some probios since cocci treatment is so hard on their gut.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...the probios or yogurt and you can continue with the B Complex for another day or two, sounds like you have 2 recovered kids....good going with the rock also, they love to climb and jump and this will help keep their hooves worn. :)

4. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Probios and B complex, not just B1.
    I hope they are just hay through all this.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    right now just treat them like a normal healthy goat. To much extra anything isnt good. I dont go overboard with stuff. I like the goat to build itself back up on its own as much as possible. Makes for healther goats.

Nutri Drench isnt bad but only give it once maybe twice --- to much can cause the runs.

hay and clean water is all they really need right now.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Maybe that's why my Leona kept getting the runs. I treated her for cocci (sent a poo sample to vet) and she would still get it every so often. I was putting Nutri-Drench in her bottle everyday, not a whole lot but a little. . . . I haven't put it in her bottle for about a week now and there's no runny poo. . . . hmmm.

I too don't like to give my goats too many supplements and stuff unless it's needed. Sounds like you are a great "goat mom!!" :D

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that was probably your problem :wink: To much of a good thing can cause problems. nutri drench is not ment to be used every day for that long

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Maybe for some reason I was getting it mixed up w/ power punch?? A breeder friend of mine recommended putting power punch in her bottle everyday (because we use regular cow's milk w/ half & half), perhaps I was confusing the two of them? Anyways, doesn't matter now. :)