Another guard dog question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm talking with someone who has pyrenees / maremma crosses, about 9 weeks old. I won't be getting livestock until April at earliest. The owner of the puppies doesn't think I should take a pup home and keep it in the house until the livestock comes.

What do you think of the potential of a pyrenees / maremma cross?

What do you think about my timing problems? I hate to miss out because the price is extremely reasonable.

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I wouldn't put a LGD in the house at all. It will bond with you (people) and won't be as effective when you do get your animals. Can you buy it and let it stay there until you get your animals? Pups learn alot from working adult LGDs so maybe thats possible if you offer to compensate them for the food the pup eats.
    Denise

3. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    I have 2 Great Pyrenees dogs, no papers. They are great with my goats, I would not take one in the house and raise it. They need to know their territory and where to guard. Besides that they don't like being in. It took my dogs nearly a year to really know their territory and job. You do need to know that their job is to alert predators that they are there to quard and that means they bark alot. We have gotten use to the barking and now know the difference between alerting and something is there. We have a male and female, but I like my male the best. We were told they work better in pairs. At night when you look into the field they are laying seperate with the goats in the middle. I sleep well knowing they are guarding my goats from coyotes and such. Good Luck!!!

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    What do you folks think of the pyr / maremma cross?

5. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Something else I haven't thought of: Should / can the dogs be neutered / spayed?

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I've seen a lot of people with pyr/maremma crosses. They seem to work well.

Its sort of an old wives tale that you shouldn't fix your LGD. The idea is they will not perform as well at their job. To me thats flawed logic. Unless you are planning on breeding your dogs should be fixed. They will be just as good at thaeir job, if not better. The males won't be as apt to roam because of female dogs in the area and your females won't have to take time off to raise a litter of puppies. I've seen quite a few spayed and nuetered LGD and they did well at their job. Much better than Ken's intact female pyr in fact.

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    A Pyr/Maremma cross? That sounds like the best of 2 worlds to me, but I think it would be a poor idea to have the pup in the house (i.e. raised for even a short time) with people, then put out in the goat barn. The goat would be too bonded to you by then and would be more interested in getting back to the family instead of creating his/her "family" with the goats.

Now having said that, I do give my Pyr one night off a week to eat and sleep at her leisure and I will bring her in if it gets to 20 below zero air temp or worse. A bad idea, I know, but I do it anyway cause she's too darn cute to leave out there permanently. Once I get another Pyr to share the responsibility, I won't do that any more cause my house isn't big enough for 2 Pyrs to be inside at the same time.

If you do not intend to breed the dog, have him/her fixed. It is a controversial subject, but in my experience, the dog is less likely to roam because he/she will not be on the prowl for a mate.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You mentioned april ..you will be getting livestock? Is there any way ...to buy maybe a couple of goats ?...I am assuming livestock you mean goats? then pup will have something to learn off of ... and believe me you will have to correct them......pups like to play....but they must not play with the goats.....when you do get the livestock in April....the pup... will be a little older and more familiar with them.........if you do raise the pup in the house ...like everyone says...it will ruin the pup to your livestock.....The pup needs to bond ...and think goat...when growing up..

If you choose to spay or Neuter... that is your choice......it will stop them from wanting to jump the fence.... :shades: :) If you know what I mean.... :wink:

9. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    The owner seems to be willing to hold the pup until April. I'm going to look at them next week. Pretty exciting.

10. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Excellent! Good decision. That will also give you time to read up on LGD training. The following site is very helpful:

http://www.lgd.org/trainfaqs.html

I've been using "clicker training" with my LGD. She's to the point now when she hears the "click" she gets incredibly excited cause she knows she's gonna get extra loves... she "wags" her whole body in anticipation.... so funny to watch. It helped me teach her the "leave it; OFF; and Come" commands so much easier than with my previous critters.