The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a friend who called me worried that her goat still has a placenta hanging out. She kidded on Thursday evening. I looked at the doe. It was one strand of the cord coming out, and bounced her. It really felt like there was a kid. Definite hard lump in front of her udder. Felt just like they do when they're not done kidding. It even felt like it moved. I went into her to see if I could feel baby.The doe hadn't been contracting. She didn't seem to be dilated, but I haven't gone in very far before. I couldn't find anything, but I couldn't even get my hand into what I thought was her cervix, but like I said, I have no experience going in that far. The thing hanging out broke in the process. We gave the doe antibiotics. She didn't have a fever and was acting fine. Her owner just texted and said she is now 105 degrees and not eating. They've tried to call the vet, but he never called back. What should they do?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So sorry to hear this!

At this point, if there is a stuck kid, there is nothing you can do. She would need an emergency c-section to remove it before she goes septic, and the fever is not a good sign. The vet could check to see if there is a retained kid via an ultrasound.

Keep her on the antibiotics, and I would give her banamine to lower her temp. Probiotics never hurt.

·
Super Moderator
83,799 Posts
The vet needs to do an ultrasound to see if there is something in there.

If there is afterbirth hanging, she is most likely done kidding.
But the vet should check her.

Selenium deficiency can cause her to hold afterbirth. Give 2 vit E gel tabs snip the tops and squirt in her mouth and give a Bo-se shot.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the doeling didn't make it. :( It really is a miracle to hear that the doe survived through all that. How is the doe now? What about her other kids?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts