another loss

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by silvergramma, May 12, 2010.

1. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    came home a few days ago and found all four pups with a piece of Bandit in their mouths he was here there everywhere,, needless to say two of the pups are now in Doggie Heaven with two more going there this week, that baby was only two weeks old and the visiting kids on the weekend just loved him and his brother out of all 8 kids that were born here, he was the silver buckskin brother the one I bottle fed..Smokey his brother is just adorable and is spoiled rotten.. constantly wanting to be picked up and held..
    we also had a doe attacked that same night, and a goose has to be destroyed and two of the chickens went missing,,,,, she didnt come down to breakfast when I called the herd from the barn and I went to check on her.. she was over in the corner laying down and I could see she had been attacked...rushed her to the vet .. she was shaved down around chest throat and neck area with over 100 lacerations and a severe puncture wound to her left ear none of which needed stitches.. she was very good for the vet and she gave me several goatie kisses while I held her on the table while she was washed and medicated and recieved her shots...
    the only time I ever heard her make a peep was on the way to the vets,,
    she was sore and in a lot of pain..poor baby..
    I had to call hubby on his cell phone (he drives 18 wheeler nationwide) and let him know that if I even caught his labrador with any evidence he was going bye bye also..these pups were six months old and basically went pack mentality
    she also had lacerations around armpits and rear end.. but thankfully none were deep enough to warrant any surgery or stitches..
    just looks like someone tried to send her to the shredder
    I took pictures at the vets as he removed the hair to show the damage..so this will be in her folder
    vet bill... only 70 bucks..
    put her right into the tipi with the heat lamp and she is eating fine and comes out when the wind isnt up for fresh air and sunshine to see whats goin on..
    gonna pick up some probiotics for here after I finish here..

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no...I am so sorry ...for all the losses.. :( ....I will pray ...that the survivors.. will be OK.... :hug: :pray:

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Oh Silvergrama how awful.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW I am so sorry about this. I could not imagine what you are feeling right now. :hug:

I just pray this little one has a full recovery. It sounds like she will

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :tears: I'm so sorry. I always worry about dogs when I 'm gone. We picked up an LGD this past weekend for the land we just got. What kind of pups did it? Please don't say gp's. :pray: sent to you and the wounded. Speedy recovery to all.

Gina

6. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    four pups labrador german shepherd crosses.. Teatsie is doing fine,, comes out of the tipi for stretching and just plain nosing around to see if its safe to come down to the house I bring her hay and feed and big bowl of water.. heat lamp still on its down in the 30's still at night here with days maybe up in the fiftys.. poor thing just came into heat while all this is going on..hopefully by the time I get home this morning the other two pups will be disposed of,,when I go into check on her I get my palm licked,, Gotta Love Goatie Kisses.. especially from someone in pain..she knows we doin our best..am thinking of getting a gp pup sometime this summer depending on whats available.. cant use a lama cause we dont have that kind of fencing,, shoot they're giving one away on craig's list here. but no can do.

7. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but i would never put a dog down for hurting a goat. They are just being dogs, you can't fault them for that, and in my opinion I don't think the penalty for that should be death. As much as I love my goats, I love my dogs every bit as much. If I couldn't find a way to keep them both safe in my care, I might rehome the dog to a family that doesn't have livestock, but I just can't see putting an animal to death for following its instinct.

8. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    So sad! :(

I have to say I share your viewpoint, HummelHill. It's not the dog's fault, but rather the person responsible for his care and training. One of my cattle dawgs, the one shown in my Avatar, is neither goat nor bird friendly. As his owner, it's my responsibility to make sure he never has unsupervised access to those animals. As owner/manager of our farm, it's also my responsibility to keep all our animals safe, healthy and out of harm's way. Should my management efforts fail, I only have myself to blame - not the dog that rushed the gate or the bird that flew the coop or the visitor that left the gate unlatched. Of course, to error is only human. And the best I can do to offset that is to learn from my mistakes and assume responsibility for my actions, and to wish the same for others.

Deb Mc

9. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    DebMc, I couldn't have said it better!

10. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Silvergramma,

I am so sorry you had go through that, and had to make such difficult decisions on top of it. I can't even imagine. I sure hope your doe recovers completely and that nothing like this ever happens to you again.

I have a Great Dane who I worry would do that, I have really good fences, and I watch her like a hawk, but you still can't always cover everything. The old one is fine, naturally. It's the young one with the massive prey drive. If she ever kills a goat she will be gone from here instantly, one way or another.

Jan

11. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    all situations are different we had tried finding homes for these pups and are not allowed to build any kind of kennel or put up new shelters or sheds..here,, we're renters but when you are in a livestock situation when they take the first one down they dont stop.. fliers were up for three months as well as ads on craig's list and newspaper ads.. nobody would take them.. all the farmers I talked to about it.. said put em down they get the taste for the meat and thats it.. thats why you hear of so many farmers shooting dogs for killing their chickens,,,I didnt know about the mentality until it was too late.. and yes I will learn from my mistakes.. thats one of the reasons I came into this forum is to learn from others as well as trial and error..and maybe you didnt see the first part of the post.. they ate one of the two week old kids.. all four pups had a piece of him chowing down..I dont know who led the attack ,, they were probably just playing at the time but once blood is drawn,, its down hill from there..this was not a case of a dog accidently hurting a goat.. The pictures tell the story and I dont think you'd want me to put that on here but I can if you dont believe it was life or death.. and I am not angry at anyone for having their opinions as to what I should or should not have done about the pups.. there were seven altogether and these were the last four that nobody wanted we kept them for as long as we could..and they were humanely put down.. the only animal shelter where I live is 80 miles from us and they have a waiting list and dont take in animals from other counties.. thats a shame also but not much I could have done about it..If you care to see the pics of what happened to
    Teatsie I'll post that as well.. we are still finding lacerations on her as I handle her here at the farm that the vet missed..I still dont know what stopped the attack,, maybe the Good Lord above reached down ..

12. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    And hopefully these pup's sire and dam spayed and neutered now so there will be no more unwanted pups in the future?

13. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Some breeds that can have high prey drives, you have to watch. I got a German shepherd pup from an established, reputable breeder and despite training to redirect her aggressiveness with my cats and goats, I had to rehome her. I didn't feel I could ever trust her, as her obsession was intense and I've no doubt she would harm or kill a kid if I wasn't supervising.

14. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    It was a tough decision...not one that I would want to make. When I was growing up we had two German Sheppard- one got out of his kennel and killed a chicken and duck. My father reinforced the kennel and the dog continued to get out and killed what every was in his reach. My dad ended up chaining him up while trying to find him another home- no one would take him- End result- he ended up breaking his chain- killing all the chickens and attacking my younger brother- yes he had to be put down. Sorry about your loss!

15. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    actually the german shepherd female is scared to death of all the goats.. I think it was the sire..when ever the goats come up to the house for visitors she runs and hides..go figger..making appointment for her to be spayed this week..one goat going to the vet for hair loss and waiting for test results on another.. and yes I'm goatie shopping again.. keep fingers crossed on seller boarding them for me until they can be brought up to my friends location in the fall..Teatsie is starting to itch.. thats a good sign..cant wait to see her jump and run eventually.. my oldest doe actually jumped up and across a cattle gaurd sideways a couple days ago.. she is feeling spry at 9.. we were bottle feeding yesterday..and gonna go again today..

16. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Silvergramma,

Just went home to feed Ben his bottle and my aunt's dog and a "stray" we had picked up 2 weeks ago for killing my cat was back.(my grandmother felt sorry that no one claimed him had him brought back. Happy Dog has been renamed Dead Dog. They were trying to get into the chickens. We have copper marans and blue orpingtons. They are not cheap birds. It took us 2 years to find my hubby's Yokohama chicken. Needless to say, my aunt has been warned. Keep the dog at home and secure, or it goes into the woods. AKA doggie heaven. I'll be so glad when or LGD get's older. :sigh:

Gina

17. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm sorry about your loss, very sorry. The one thing I don't get though is did you put down 2 of the pups? If so, why? Couldn't you have re-homed they? Why would they have to die for doing what dogs do? I guess I just don't understand. I have three boston terriers, along with my 5 goats, 5 Rhode Island Red hens, 1 RIR Rooster and 18 cornish crosses (and 1 indoor and 1 outdoor cat). While my dogs chase and play with the chickens and rooster, and ever once in a while, I can see the "pack" mentality kick up, I immediately call the dogs off.

I guess I don't understand that if you are concerned about dog attacks, why have dogs that are big enough to harm your goats? If you must have your big dogs, why not kennel them off in a 6' high kennel? Separation should work better then execution.

Again, sorry about your loss, even more sorry for the pups if they perished at your own hand.

18. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Just read back - your dog wasn't spayed? Then it truly is your fault for the so called "unwanted" puppies. Many humane societies as well other organizations will help/pay for spay/neutering of your pet to prevent unwanted puppies/kitties.

You may consider yourself a good goat-momma, but as a doggy momma, you are possibly one of the worst I have ever read about. RIP poor little pups, you were only "playing" and doing what comes naturally. RIP little goatie - if your momma would have been a more responsible doggy momma, you will still be with her.

19. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks ladies I appreciate all comments and concerns,,I cannot express my thanks and maybe I can never defend myself because there are people who dont know the whole story,, but next time I find two adult dogs left on the side of the road to fend for themselves and one of them was hit by a vehicle and was dragging his back legs behind him through the grass for three days during a hot weekend and I know this because I have to go that route to haul water to our farm for us and the livestock.. in front of a Bingo hall and nobody else stopped,, while I got a local farmer nearby to help me put the injured Male into my truck to take them to the vet which I payed for to have him xrayed to see if his back was broken and could he be saved.. the white german shepherd female would not leave him during the weekend and she was pregnant..even he knew they were there and did nothing because several people thought that the big male was his dog and stopped to let him know they were out there..
    he got an old blanket out of his house and we layed it on the ground and the dog dragged himself onto it and up into the cab of my truck he went,, the female was so skittish that I had to back away from the cab of my truck to let her realize she could go in without feeling threatened 20 minutes about I'd say it took her to hop in..
    Anyways the vet bill was over 200 for emergency visit on Sunday morning with exrays,, antibiotics and steriods for him,, nothing broken just inflammation from being hit.. luckily he got his legs back and was doing fine..
    NO they were not my dogs.. I paid for the flyers for them and the ads in the paper..trying to find their owners..
    I'm a former SPCA worker from a highly populated area of Louisiana and had to attend the gas chamber loading cats and dogs into a cart and unloading them and placing them in biodegradable bags to haul to the landfill nearby after their death.. I only lasted six months and that was back in the 70's...
    to me that was not a humane way to put those animals down due to overpopulation
    We kept the pups and both dogs alive and fed well during a hard winter when they would have been in dire need with our climate
    we only had four goats at the time neither the male nor the female ever went close to them..now many people believe that after you take in a stray you are reponsible for them yes I am responsible for the two adults..now... but someone else was before me and those former owners you can chew up and spit out first.. they let the female get pregnant..
    nobody called or claimed them..If I could afford to pay for the free standing Kennels that you see at the local tractor supply sure I would have done it
    at least I placed the other pups..
    Ya cant do it all..and ladies please read the threads slowly before you jump to conclusions..
    call me ignorant,, call me stupid but I did what I could..
    here,, again please read the threads slowly.. or at least reread them
    if the population here was more than it is now I probably would have gotten more responses than I did on the fliers and ads.. but unfortunately I did not..so I was responsible for trying to place them after their birth..but not for the pregnancy.. you all have a good day....

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just want to remind everyone to keep it friendly here. :hug:

Things do happen and I know we all would handle things differently.

silvergramma I am so sorry that this happened to you, with the whole situation. How is Teatsie doing? :hug: