Another new baby!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by dixiegirl3179, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    I went outside and Clara had a buckling. He was up and nursing. She seems done, but no placenta so far. He's a big boy, tall at least. He has to kneel to nurse. She's got some stuff hanging out of her..it looks like umbilical cord. I can't seem to get a picture without all that in it, and while I know ya'll wouldn't care..I need to post it on facebook too lol. I'm getting a little irritated with all the bucklings..they all have the same father (except for the rescue goats kids that we lost) and so far..3 out of 3 have been boys. Talked to my friend who owns the father and one of hers kidded with one of his yesterday and it's also a boy. Good thing he's a medium sized mix and I really want to breed for mini goats so I have no intentions of using him again.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats... :thumb:

The stuff coming out... may be her afterbirth....does it have... little red ball looking things on it? Is she acting normal and not pushing or under duress...? If you don't think she is done...I'd wash up and go in ...to check for anymore babies....or bounce her to check...... :hug:

Don't worry... it has been a bucky year for everyone.... so we know how you feel.. :(

3. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    The stuff coming out looks like umbilical cord and it does have red balls on it. She ate part of it and more red stuff is coming out, so I think she's delivering the placenta. She doesn't seem in distress at all. She's just standing around letting the baby nurse. The umbilical cord/placenta seems to be coming out slowly on it's own..she doesn't really seem to be pushing it. I'll go out there and bounce her in a second to make sure there's no more in there.
    The placenta comes last, right? So once the placenta is delivered she's done?

I've got 3 more does that I'm waiting on to kid. One is due any time (Clara's twin sister who is HUGE so I think she has twins in there, maybe trips..Clara and Bea were part of a set of trips..I just didn't buy their brother). The 145th day from exposure to the buck for the other 2 is March 24th. One of those is the one who's only 8 months old (Mabel's first daughter) and she's tiny, so I'm really worried about her. Hopefully I don't miss hers in case she needs help.

4. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Re: Another new baby! Pic added!

Alright ya'll here's a picture. It's not that great, but it will do lol.

One question. I don't have kidding stalls...I wanted to put up a couple with cattle panels inside the shelter, but my tax return got delayed, so I didn't have the money. Anyway Clara had the baby in the pen out in full sunlight. He was laying there panting with the sun beating down on him. I picked him up and called her to follow me while I moved him into the shelter where Mabel's twins were resting. She followed me for a second but then went over and started eating hay. This was about an hour ago and she's still just chillin out. The baby doesn't seem distressed. She'll find him right? She saw me take him over there. I just didn't want to leave him out there with the sun beating down on him. I'm in Florida and it's HOT. Mabel's twins spend a lot of time away from her too. They find a spot at the base of a tree or under the shelter and nap while she's wandering in the pen, sometimes laying around on the other side. Is that normal? A couple of times I panicked because I couldn't find them and finally found them both times hidden someplace in the pen. Anyway..here's the pic of the new baby. So far everyone has floppy ears. I love floppy ears, but I know they'll grow up to have the weird half floppy ears like their dad. Oh well..I'm selling all of them anyway lol.

[​IMG]

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She should find him alright, especially when he gets hungry again and starts crying for her. Watch her though if she is being an inattentive mom. Sometimes a doe won't have a great mothering response or will reject a kid. Is she a first timer? Just keep an eye on them, and make sure to feel his tummy often to see if it feels like it is full or semi-full. If she doesn't go check on him once in awhile or he doesn't go to her and nurse then you will have to force her to stand and let him nurse throughout the day. Most kids only eat very little at a time very frequently, then mom decides they had enough and walks off or jumps away from them. If she won't let him eat at all you will just have to keep holding her for him off and on through the day until she learns to accept him. If she won't accept him at all then it might be easier to get him on a bottle.

That definitely sounds like a placenta to me, and it does sound like she is completely done. If you want to help the placenta pass more quickly you can tie the stuff hanging out in knots so it is a bit heavier and comes out more quickly. You can also offer her some warm water with molasses and/or some grain mash (pour hot water in the grain and let it cool a bit). They love the mash, at least mine due, and it is more bulky because it is a warm mash. Helps them feel better. At least the vet really suggests warm bran mash for new horse mom's because it helps clean them out faster and helps their poo be softer since their backside is all swollen and ouchy.

6. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks Firelight..

Yep it was definitely the placenta. She passed the rest of it not long after that. I looked outside just a bit ago and she had found the baby. She was letting him nurse when he was first born, and he was nursing when she found him in the shelter. I think they'll be just fine. I bounced her and there's no more babies in her. I know what they feel like because I could feel the baby still inside Allie the rescue goat that I had to call the vet out for because he was stuck. I'm so glad this one went smoothly because I could not have handled another like Allie's. Next up should be Clara's twin sister Bea..she looks like she's dropped and her udder has gotten bigger. Hoping for a doe this time lol.

7. jglfainters

jglfainters New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Nevada
    It really is a bucky year! I'm 5 bucklings 1 doeling right now. I'm glad everything looks good. He's a cute boy :)

8. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    It sure is a bucky year! Technically I'm at 4 bucklings and 1 doeling, but lost Allie's buckling and doeling, so I only have the 3 bucklings now. Hopefully I get some does out of my other three! It doesn't really matter since I'm not keeping any, but I figure I can sell the does easier.