The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a healthy heard of 6 Tennessee fainting goats. One doe just birthed a kid a week and a half ago. We have only had the goats a little over two weeks and this is our first heard ever. We wanted to keep only fainting goats, but our friend has a small nanny that we promised we would buy long before we knew what we were getting. She is supposedly some sort of Boer Kiko mix. This is a couple of pictures for you. What do you think about her physical condition? I was concerned because her little tail is not up, it is sort of straight out. I am still learning, but isn't the tail a sign of their health that should be up?? The dad is the big black goat (which is huge, stinky and mean). They are boer Kiko mixes. The two moms that you see, her mom is the lighter colored one and the black one the same size of her is her twin. They were born the first week in May. I thought the moms looked thin...I just don't want to introduce a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
The twin kids appear pot-bellied and I would suspect they have a load of tapeworms. I would have a fecal analysis done and treat accordingly. You should ask them to also include coccidia on the fecal analysis.

How was her membrane color/FAMACHA score?

Their dam is likely not actually "lighter colored" - she appears quite mineral deficient. The sire appears to have breeds other than kiko and boer in him.

·
Super Moderator
58,178 Posts
Some good worming and minerals will probably take care of all problems. You would want to isolate for a while but she will probably be just fine with some groceries and minerals and worming.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The twin kids appear pot-bellied and I would suspect they have a load of tapeworms. I would have a fecal analysis done and treat accordingly. You should ask them to also include coccidia on the fecal analysis.

How was her membrane color/FAMACHA score?

Their dam is likely not actually "lighter colored" - she appears quite mineral deficient. The sire appears to have breeds other than kiko and boer in him.
Salteylove, this was my exact thoughts after all that I have been reading. they look wormy to me. The current owners said all they have had is ivermectin at 4 times their body weight. They just don't look that great to me. We have an isolation pen ready for her. Unfortunately, they have not been touched at all so there was no way to get close enough to her to get a good idea of her gum color or anything. If we do the cocidia and the tapeworm treatments, what does that entail? Will that infect my property or just the quarantine area?

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
Gum color is not a good indicator in goats, eyelid membrane color should be used per FAMACHA scoring.

If she has tapeworm you may see white segments in the poop, check for that. Have the fecal analysis done including coccidia. Keep her off the pastures where parasite eggs would get picked up by your other goats and that will work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: We ended up not getting this goat after all. Turns out she was eaten up with tape worms. A friend of ours who knows a lot about goats took her in and she is looking much better already! He wormed her really well and she improved within the first week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts