Another new member from Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Peggie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Peggie

Peggie New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hi! I am from Texas also and live in the Lampasas area. We were not planning on goats, not yet anyway, but a person we know has boer goats and when a doe abandons them they were letting them die instead of bottle feeding. We offered and ended up with a set of twins. One was so sick it did not make the night, but Jack made it and is a real baby at 9 weeks old. He got us going and we then went and picked up a doe and her doeling for brush clearing. She is a fainting goat and very friendly also, so we now have three.

We would like to get a milker or two before too long. We were hoping for some Kinder goats, but can't find any near us. I am trying to milk the fainter before she weans the doeling, but not getting much at this point.

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi and welcome.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    :wave: from Idaho!!!

We are all so glad that you found us! Congrats on the goaties - and bless you for taking in the bottle baby. That is sad that they were just letting the kids die - those people should be turned in for that - that is animal cruelty! But at least this baby has a wonderful - loving home!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome!! and bless your heart for helping out :hug:

As to milking the mom -- unless you separate that doeling from her mom she will continue to nurse and nurse till the mom dries up. You will have a tough time of it. Try taping her teats at night and during the day (once she is over 9-10 weeks old) so that you can milk her.

Not sure how much fainters produce but it should be something.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!! Very big hearted of you to help those babies....and well Jack unless he's banded or separated from your little does will end up giving you even more babies....as far as mom goes, Stacey's right...her kid will nurse til she's dry and leave you with nothing taping her teats will help as long as you can milk her at least once a day and let her kid on thru the day and tape or separate at night.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Good to meet you- You had a hard start in goats but sounds like you did well. Since a kinder is a pygmy/nubian? cross, maybe you can make your own?

7. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Granbury, Texas HERE!!!

Welcome! :stars:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome to TGS!

9. mxgasa

mxgasa New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    New Caney, TX
    Welcome fellow Texan! I lived in Lampasas many years ago, hope all is well there!

You are a real sweetheart for taking in those babies...so sad one did not make it, but at least Jack will be a happy camper! :clap:

10. Peggie

Peggie New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thank you for all the welcomes!!

Jack is complaining, I just dropped him down from 2 bottles a day to one. He is whining about it! He is also banded, going on 3 weeks now, but still thinks he is a stud! :ROFL:

I am going to separate the two babies and put in one pen at night, we are trying to make a 2nd stall for them. My husband injured himself so things are a bit slow at getting done right now.

I am so glad to have found this group!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a lot of times they aren't hungry but just want to suck. My bottle baby who I took down to 2 bottles a day now gets a bottle of water during the day. He loves it and it satisfies his need to suck and see me. it makes him happy and makes me happy because he stops crying for me

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome, Glad you found us. :wave: Do you have some pictures of those adorable babies?

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Welcome!

I am also so glad that you saved Jack. And, that you got other goats! Good luck finding a Kinder.

14. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Peggie! I have some fainters too. I also have boers. Those little boer babies are just too cute!!!!

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to TGS, Peggie!! :wave: