Another of Stars triplets is sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trob1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ok another one is down. She was fine last night and this am she is weak, crying, temp low (98) and all her membranes are pale even her nose which used to be pink is white now. The other one seems ok, her temp is normal but she doesnt want to nurse and has the yellow runs. What could this be? I gave them both sour halt and a bo-se shot. I have the one that is down on a heating pad. Help oh and I gave the one that is down sub Q fluids

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Entero? Do you have antitoxin? I think I would give her and the other babies that in case.

Also might start her on biomycin, or Pen G.

Did you give any of the whiskey,molasses, coffee mixture to help warm her up?

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am really leaning toward white muscle disease. I have given the bo-se and I gave the one that is down some warm sub-q fluids and she just stood up and urinated then took 2 cc of milk from a syringe. I think I am gonna go to the store and get some vit A,D&E to give them both. The other one is holding her own temp for now but has no suck reflex so I am syringing milk to her too. This just breaks my heart. I am gonna give all the other does kids a bo-se shot when they are born in hope this doesnt happen ever again. I had switched feed suppliers and realized they didnt add copper to it but really didnt think to look at the selenium to see if that was in the bag. They ate this feed their entire pregancies till now I have them on another type of feed that has copper. Live and learn I guess. Poor star just doesnt understand why her babies won't nurse she is just calling to them and they won't call back. :tears:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I would give all the moms some selenium too. Had this happen with Flickas triplets.

Tubing her will keep the food in her and keep her alive. I recomend that as long as her temp is normal. The selenium will kick in and she will suck again but she needs to be strong enough to do so.

Could it be silent pnuemonia coming on? Antibiotics wouldnt be a bad option to save her if this is the case. How quickly can you get a test done?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I will be praying for her two remaining girls. :pray: I hope you pull them through.

6. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    OH Teresa!! I hope they do okay.... :hug: Praying for them on this end....

I'd definately do the selenium on moms and yes, get that ADE for the babies. I keep the nutridrench for a quick hit of it, and then have the injectable too....

Thinking of you and the little ones today!

Susan

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone is giving good advise.. :hug: ..I am praying that the babies will have a full recovery.... :pray:

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    definately I would get some selenium in mom also.

I sure hope the babies will respond to the injections and start to perk up for you. :hug:

We are in a huge selenium deficient area here. I had a couple kids born last year. I was told that I had to get the BoSe into them within 24 hours of being born for optimum help to combat the white muscle disease.

I have started following fiascofarm in their BoSe schedule - and so far so good. I give momma an injection at 5 weeks before kidding, 3 weeks before kidding, and I think there is one at 1 week before. This is something new for me, so i am just trying it out, however, the girl who kidded for me the other day she only had 1 injection and was to get her second this weekend, and her little one is bouncy and eating great.

I would definately look at giving BoSe at birth. For the Nigi's I give .05 if really tiny and .1 if "normal" size.

Thinking about you all!

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ok the doeling that was the most sick is still holding on. I just gave her the Vit A,D&E shot and tube fed her 1 oz of moms milk. Her temp is 101.8 and holding.

The other one that was just weak and unable to suck is now running and jumping. Havent seen her nurse yet but she bobs the udder. I dripped some milk in her mouth and she swallowed it.

I guess I am living in the barn today. I do not want to leave the kids long. I guess I need to come up with some names to call them. I just pray they both pull through this. I am gonna give all the does a bo-se shot today and when the kids are born they will get one too. I just have never had this problem with I usually give the selenium crumbles to the bred does and didnt this year. Oh man live and learn is so hard to deal with.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry the bag of feed didn't have the most needed ingredients...we have all made mistakes...please don't blame yourself for it...we all live and learn.... :hug:

Vitamin B complex will help in appetite if you want to use that....

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like you are doing the best for them that you can.

Praying real hard they both make it and you can have the peace of mind to relax. :hug: :pray:

12. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    That is great about both of them...the one holding on and the one running and jumping...still sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Enjoy spending time with those little ones today...give them all great big hugs! I hope mom is feeling good now too.

Susan

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    just checking in to see how they are doing? Keep us posted. Have you given Nutra Drench?

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks for all the advise and encouragement. She died around 1pm. I had gone in to eat lunch and when I came back out she had already died. She did exactly as her sister in the end. I can ony hope the other one lives. Star is having a hard time with it. She is crying almost non stop looking and calling for her babies. Thankfully the one is up and running and nursing on her own now. Poor star's udder is so full but she runs from me now when I get close. She does not like being milked.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh hun, I am so sorry that you lost them. My heart goes out to you. I had some die last year and I know exactly how you feel :hug:

16. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am so very sorry :hug: :tears: I wish I could say more... :tears:

17. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. It has been a hard 2 days and I am ready for more babies to be born and be healthy. Every kid born will now get a bo-se shot. The last little girls seems fine, running, jumping and nursing so fingers crossed she will be ok.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am so sorry :tears: :hug: :(

19. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Oh my goodness! I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sorrrrrry!!!! It's completely crazy that they even make feed without selenium or copper in it. It should ALLLLLLLLL have it in it, and then everyone wouldn't have to supplement. i mean, come on!!! Cats have to have taurine, and you don't see them not adding the taurine to the food and us having to add it ourselves.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am ..so sorry for your loss...so sad. :( :hug: