Another off feed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Oct 27, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Where does this stop! Last 4 feedings Straw has fail to eat. She comes up but doesn’t want any feed. I caught her this evening and got a temp (103.3). Famacha score was. Good 2 if not a 1. I had went prepared to give shots if high fever but didn’t need to, so I did give B Complex 6ml, powered probotics mixed in a drench gun. I didn’t keep her penned up because I saw no need. She is pregnant and eta December this year. Maybe just a preg thing? She didn’t even want green pecan leaves. Any thing I need to watch for?

2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Do you have ketone strips? If so I would check her ketone levels. Does she walk like her feet are tender? Swollen ankles on the front legs? Kinda my rule around here is if a heavy bred doe starts acting off in any way they start getting treated for pregnancy toxemia since the key to beating it is to start treatment fast. But those ketone strips will tell you a lot.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Where can I get these ketone strips and how do I use them?

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  4. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Any drug store or amazon. It will be in the diabetic area. It’s a bunch of strips and when she pees just put one of the strips under her while she pees or catch her pee in a cup. On the back of the bottle it will show what her levels are. She WILL have trace and that is nothing to be alarmed about, it’s if she tests high or moderate that you should worry.
    Also if she has something else going on which is causing her to be off feed it can lead to high ketone levels and or pregnancy toxemia so if she doesn’t test high and she is still off then keep checking her. I made this mistake when I had a doe that her rumen shut down and then ended up with two issues on my hands. That’s kinda why I just go with the treatment. It doesn’t have to be super aggressive treatment where you might totally throw her rumen out of wack but just enough to keep them from going over into pregnancy toxemia

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This can really be a challenge, I mean not the treatment but catching her urine. She has never been a friendly doe and I had just got her where (after 2,years) she would eat garlic bulbs with a fab of peanut butter thru the fence.To catch her yesterday I had to run all 18 head down to a feed and loading lot (100 yards away) from their pasture. I have a 30ft x 300ft lane on back side of center pasture to use as a pasture switch for 3 pastures. Once we got her in the 30 x 30 coral, she was a task to catch her and almost impossible to hold. She is as strong as an Ox. How do I get her to pee when I catch her. I can see this will be no easy job.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She came up today morning and ate a little, how much I’m not sure, it was dark
    I’ll try to watch her this evening but this is the 3 on day for herbals and oil for Ellie and Abel and that takes a while.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I was looking this morning for treatment for pregnancy toxemia and found this:

Treatment of pregnancy toxemia in ewes/does other than feeding concentrates might include; oral propylene glycol or corn syrup are quick sources of energy and should be given at the rate of 200 ml four-times daily along with 3 to 4 liters of an electrolyte solution designed for dehydration in livestock.
    Do they me 3 to 4 liters of electrolytes? That’s equivalent to 3-4 liter cokes in size? She will just drown in my opinion?

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Can you keep her in a smaller space with a friend?

MadHouse likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That doesn't sound right. But I'm not sure on dosage.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If needed, you can do 60 cc of a 50/50 black strap molasses and water in place of proplyne glycol. Once a day if ketone are mild..2 times a day if ketone are high.

Making sure she is hydrated is always good idea. You can provide a bucket of electrolytes along with the fresh water to give choices.

11. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is it, but since it seems to be happening to multiple does, is there any way there is something off with your feed? Maybe you should inspect it for mold or spoilage or rodent feces. Just something that wouldn't hurt to check. I know my does wouldn't eat their grain if something like that was going on.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    We put in new alfalfa bag about every 3 days, oats about once a week. All the rest are eating it. Today was a new bag of alfalfa just picked up from mill Monday this week. We clean and scrub all water tubs and feed troughs every Friday or Saturday mornings with out fail. We even turn troughs over if it looks like rain.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Well, then it's probably not that. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  14. AndersonRanch

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    The liter thing is if they are totally off feed and water. Almost 4 liters is a gallon and a goat drinks about a gallon a day. IF this is what she has, she is not to the point of not drinking. I would go with happybleats suggestion. I don’t like that proplyne glycol. It’s pretty harsh on the rumen and throat and can make a goat stop eating all together.
    For the pee a small pen is a good idea. A trick is after a goat lays down they usually get up and pee. If she is that flighty when she pees depending on your ground and if it totally sucks the pee up you might be able to go over and push the strip on the ground and get enough for a reading. I’ve had to do this with the flighty ones. If that is not going to happen then I would just go with the treatment.
    Mellonfriend does have a point though. Something may be going on with something they are consuming. Any plants in the pasture they shouldn’t be eating? Any new diet change?

MadHouse likes this.
  15. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Well acorns are falling out of the oaks. They love them too. It maybe that, I hadn’t thought of that but she could be eating acorns because all the rest of them has been.

16. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Acorns can cause upset if too many are eaten at once. Maybe some probiotics would help. If the trees are in their pen. They should taper off over eating them once they are not new anymore. Hopefully lol

TCOLVIN and MadHouse like this.
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Acorns can cause issues in large amounts especially when goats don’t avoid them.

I would do your best to rake them up.

Is she eating hay, just not the feed?

MadHouse likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Toxemia/Ketosis/Milk Fever~~~~~~~~~

Calcium Gluconate
    -- 10% (100mg/ml) If administered via IV at 5-15mg during a 10min span). SQ injection and not for more than 1 day. It is caustic to tissue if given IM or used long term. For treatment of: milk fever, pregnancy toxemia, and ketosis. May aid in dilating the cervix during a long labor. Goat dose: To treat Milk Fever: Give Orally 8 to 12 oz. given orally. Repeat 5-8 oz, three times a day until the doe is eating and symptoms are subsiding.
    Helps to open the cervix.

Propylene GlycolCMPK- For the prevention and treatment of ketosis.
    Goat dose: Oral 3-4 oz (90-120ml) 2 times a day, for 2 days, and then 1-2 oz (30ml-60) 2 times daily until animal is eating normally.
    Milk withholding time: none.
    In an emergency you can substitute Molasses or Karo Syrup. OTC

Molasses/Karo Syrup – For ketosis in does.
    30 cc's dark karo
    15 cc's molasses
    Put in a bowl and use a touch of hot water and stir.
    This will make it thinner and easier to to suck up into a big syringe and drench it. Do this 2 x a day until goat is improved.

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/medicine-cabinet-2020.215845/

19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening she come to the garlic picnic and ate 3 very large cloves. I try to give all that wants them at least 2-3 a day, some get 4. She ate with the rest of the herd this morning and evening.

20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I bet it is the acorns! She ate too many and got a belly ache. Sometimes the tannic acid in acorns is really high. Are they red oaks or white oaks? The red oaks tend to be more bitter and the deer avoid them unless there is nothing else to eat. I would think goats might, too. (but being the contrary critters that they are, maybe they eat them because they are bitter!)

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.