Another off feed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Oct 27, 2020.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Another recipe for does with ketosis is called "Magic" it's :
    1 part molasses
    1 part corn oil
    2 parts karo syrup

Drench twice a day ... I use 30cc's for my nigies so probably 60 cc's for larger breeds but I'd get another opinion for the larger breeds as I don't have any @AndersonRanch @Sfgwife @Moers kiko boars @toth boer goats

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  2. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I believe the acorns are the problem. Everybody seem in good shape this evening. It has rained all day here.

MadHouse, GoofyGoat and happybleats like this.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    They are red oak. They stretch down a 500 yard old property line that runs the back side of 3 pastures. I had had 2 or 3 with messy behinds but cleared up on it’s in. I blamed it on wet conditions and the new growth as they had been in that pasture for a couple of weeks at that time. Then I noticed they where eating the acorns. When maybe you are someone said “are they eating anything new” then it hit me, the acorns, I believe that’s what it is. Thanks

happybleats, MadHouse and ksalvagno like this.
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    California
    Are you in an area where your autumn is wet? We are hVing a mast year with acorns here in CA. My does look like hens picking through the pasture. If the acorns are wet, mold could be an issue. Not here, as it is dry as a bone.
    But my does stop eating if there is a funky smell in the feed or the feeder.
    And some does are more sensitive than others. I notice this with molasses treeated feeds. Some of my does will not eat the flaked corn in dry cob. When i changed feed manufacturer, some go oiff feed.
    Clean your feeder:; go with a feed she used to eat.
    Start simple and work up to the worst case.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    California
    The acorns themselves may not be the problem.
    Ate you feeding hay? And grain?
    If you feed this every morning, you can slow down their consumption of acorns.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Hello !! Goats love "ACORNS", my goats will always get off their feed to some degree when the acorns are falling. They had rather eat acorns than almost anything else. Also the Tannic acid seems to kill some or most of the worms and the color of their eye lid turn dark red, So it seem to indicate that to me. So I don't worry about the goats eating the acorns, in fact when they have eaten all of the ones that have fall in their lot area, I will sometimes pick up acorns under the oak trees in our yard and clean off the dust and feed them to the goats. Understand I am not talking about a half gallon or more of acorns but a couple of hand fulls. So I would bet your goats are filling up on the acorns and when they are all gone they will be back on their feed regularly.