The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my ND buckling died, he was my Boer buck's buddy.

I treated him for Cocci, and he never improved since my Boer didn't show any signs I am thinking it was Cocci. He had normal colored poo, but it was just really runney.. I can't do anything about that now BUT

I want to know if it's safe to give my Boer buckling a penicillin shot ? He isn't showing any signs of being sick at all...
still running around, eating, drinking, trying to escape, normal poops ect.

I just don't want to lose him!

·
14,615 Posts
Sorry about your buckling.
One shot of Pen isnt going to cut it. Is there another buddy you can put with him so he doesnt get depressed?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not worried about him being depressed, he talks to my girls and is fine, I will get him a buddy at some point but right now I am more worried about preventing what ever killed Bandit,

would a shot of penicillin hurt him, if there is nothing wrong ?

·
14,615 Posts
No, one shot wont hurt but it certainly wont help either. Anytime we give antiboitics it's for a period of time unless its some high cost one time injection.
Honestly I wouldnt give him anything unless I knew for sure what the decased was dealing with.
How old was the buckling & what is your bucks age?
Cocci is more prevalent in young kids, not so much in adults. They (adults) do carry a certain amount but not enough to compromise health.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ND buckling was 3 months old, my buck, who is actually a buckling, is 7 months old.

I still do not know if I treated him for the right thing, it appeared to be cocci... I treated my boer buck for cocci also when I treated the ND, (vet told me too) He hasn't showed any signs of being sick though.

·
14,615 Posts
If the buck is healthy leave him at that. If he shows signs he can be treated again if needed, What did you treat Bandit with?
Glad to hear he can talk to the girls.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I treated bandit with Albon 5 pills..

He is normally adjoining them,, but out of concern I moved him over so they can not touch each other but can see and talk.

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
I agree with Nancy...too many times one goat will get sick while a whole herd is fine...only treat if he needs it...if he is pooping peeing, eating drinking .bright eye and alert...then let him be..If things change then re addess the issue of antibiotics...

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
All one shot of Penicillin will do is build an immunity and then when you really need it, it won't work. Your best bet would be to take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it tested to include coccidia.

If the ND died from coccidia, Penicillin will do nothing anyway. I am sorry you lost him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts