another proble with Belle nd the kids...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatnutty, May 10, 2009.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We separated Belle and the kids finally (the kids are 4 months old) because we didn't know what to do with tthem till we got the other pen built...anyway, the babies won't eat? What should I do? Also, Belle has a huge udder should I milk her? She is a purebred Boer goat. :sigh:

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They won't eat hay or grain I take it? They may be dealing with the stress of separation but they will eat eventually. If her udder gets to be to full you may have to milk her a little, but it is the pressure on her udder that will help her to dry off.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Not from what I've seen...other than a little bit of grazing. Ok I have never before but she gets a huge udder. Oh, how long is a goat good for breeding? Belle is 5 years old now..

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you need to milk her take your index finger and thumb and squeeze on either side of the teat at the top and just strip down :)

Goats can be bred right up until their ripe old age but it is the decision of the owner as to when the doe should not be bred anymore. As she gets older if she has a harder time kidding, or a harder time keeping condition on then it would be time to retire her.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    ok...we had to milk her when the kids were bron cause they were inly nursing on one side...She is a really easy kidder and good mom so I'm going to try to at least get one more set out of her.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    At 5 she is in the prime of her life! I wouldnt retire an animal till 9 or 10, I have a friend who has 14 and 15 yr olds still producing kids every year and you wouldnt even know they were that old to look at them :)

The kids will eventually get hungry and eat ... :wink:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had a fb boer that kidded out good kids with no problems what so ever......and she was 10 when I sold her... and is now 12 years and still produces show winners....to this day.....It all depends on the doe as sarah said....it is for the breeder to decide .....when to retire the doe ....especially if the kids are getting really small .....or she is having alot of complications and it is risking her health.........I agree with goathappy ...on what she had mentioned ....and with the kids not eating ....as Sarah has mentioned..... is most likely due to stress....give them a few days....and they should start eating right again... :wink: :hug:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Ok thanks guys...I certainly wasn't going to retire her yet.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome.....

you'd be amazed ....how long some can continue to kid..... :wink:

10. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yeah, my mom was about ready to faint when she relized they would be around that long...lol

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    guiness world record for a pet goat (not a breeder) was either just under or just over 30 yrs ... :greengrin:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :greengrin:

now that is amazing.......even if it wasn't a breeder.... :shocked: :)

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yep :wink:
    Keren, I showed my mom that and she goes "Oh my god your's better not live that long" lol

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Just tell her the sooner you "retire" her the LONGER she will live :greengrin: and yep the kidds will eat when they get hungry enough.