The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a yearling doe that I bought last year and she has lost her voice along with an inflated/swollen jawline. Are these two things connected? And what could cause a loss of voice. When she tries to bleat as she does every morning all that comes out is a raspy hiss.
Thanks

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
how long she been like this? could be bottle jaw or perhaps she got stung? swallowed something that is irritating? If its bottle jaw you should also see very very pale or white lower inner eye lids...

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's had the lost voice for about a week. The swelling I barely noticed yesterday. Also her eyelids look fine and she was wormed in march that's why I doubt bottle jaw but could still be a possibility.

So as you can see from the pictures it's swollen more on the right side than on the left. I do feel a mass under the skin sort of like something swollen. Swollen salivary gland???

Attachments

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
looks like it could be a salivary gland.....here is a link to discuss reasons for swelling...from tennesee meat goats

Conditions that may be mistaken for abscesses:

Cud chewing causes a bulge in the goat's cheek during ruminal activity that may be mistaken for an abscess.

Salivary Cysts are painless swellings on the side of the face that are filled with saliva. Do not lance a salivary cyst, because the salivary system provides vital bicarbonates needed in digestion, and to do so can result in life-threatening rumenal acidosis. Instead, use a sterile needle to aspirate (draw out) the odorless, colorless watery or slightly blood-tinged fluid from the cyst.

Arthritis can cause enlarged lymph nodes that are often initially mistaken as abscesses when in fact Caprine Arthritic Encephalitis is the cause.

Joint infections may be accompanied by swollen lymph nodes.

Lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymph glands) may cause swollen lymph nodes that look like abscesses.

Swellings caused by bites (snake, scorpion, spider, dog) may be mistaken for abscesses.

Bottlejaw (severe parasite infestation to the point of anemia) results in a fleshy loose pouch of skin under the chin.

Fights among goats (usually bucks) may result in swelling near eyes, horns, down the face, neck, and chest.

Goiters occur when the thyroid gland enlarges as a result of low thyroxine output and may be mistaken for abscesses.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/abscesses.html

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you happybleats

Do you happen to know if loss of voice is normal or should I worry like I said its been going on for a week

·
I'm watching you
22,538 Posts
Are you giving Iodine in kelp etc? I have one girl here that will lose her voice and get a swelling where her throat and jaw meet from Thyroid issues. Kelp is enough to keep it away for her, she's just extra sensitive to the deficiency of it here. Iodized salt isn't enough.

·
14,615 Posts
Was she crying alot? Ive had them lose their voice but I dont know if it's in conjunction with her jaw problem.
Have you been able to look in her mouth? Get a stick or even a 60cc syringe for her to chomp down on so you save you fingers. Placed sideways.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've never bought kelp before so I don't know were I can get it around here. What exactly might she be deficient in?

Is this something that goes away on its own? I remember I had another doeling with the salivary gland thing and we left it alone an it went away.

And yeah she's always yelling so I thought at first it finally caught up.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
You may need to drain to decrease the pressure, I would have a qualified vet or experianced goat person help.....I have not heard of a SG messing with the voice..but if the swelling is pushing on the area..could be...Or as mentioned..could be from her crying a lot..I have a little sweet boer that has a whiny voice now after calling forme so often lol..

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You may need to drain to decrease the pressure, I would have a qualified vet or experianced goat person help.....I have not heard of a SG messing with the voice..but if the swelling is pushing on the area..could be...Or as mentioned..could be from her crying a lot..I have a little sweet boer that has a whiny voice now after calling forme so often lol..
Our goats may yell a lot but ill tell you my neighbors sheep are ridiculous. Every time they see a human outside they baa/yell forever waiting for food. my neighbor is pretty old so it takes him a few hours to get to the sheep in the mornings. And they honestly get really annoying. I don't think goats could be half as annoying.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
LOL..we have sheep too..yes they are louder than goats at feeding time..but pretty quiet otherwise lol...but get one going and OMG...they all get going lol...

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to give an update on this thread the swelling quickly went away in a few days after feeding her some kelp. not sure if that did it or not. the loss of voice stuck around for a week or two but she's now yelling as much as ever! Thanks everyone

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Good to hear...: )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts