Another Q about precocious udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Dec 27, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I know the recommendation is not to milk them, and this might be a silly question, but why dont you milk them? Wouldnt you just thank your lucky stars that she is producing milk without having to wait for 5 mths for kids? Will their milk production increase if you start milking them?

Sorry if thats a silly question, was just wondering

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I's wondered that too :shrug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Okay, I emailed my dairy goat mentor (he's an older chap over in America, used to have a commercial dairy) and here is his response:

So there we go ... we have all learned something new today :greengrin:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow,,,,,,,,,thanks keren...... :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks keren :greengrin:

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I remember someone on here saying they've milked one regularly and drank the milk..?

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh, I'd like to hear from that person, if he/she is around?

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have always milked a doe that had a precocious udder. I have never drank it always thrown it out, because yes it is always either watery yuck or like toothpaste. However 100 % of procosious udders that i have dealt with in the last ten years have tested positive for mastitis. So id like to think im getting bad bacteria thats causing the yucky milk out of the udder. The i put antibiotics in the udder. Im not saying that all prcocious udders have mastits. but i would have the fluid tested before i decide yay or nay on whether or not to milk the doe out or not. Even if she doesnt have it the fluid is just going to sit there and cause more bacteria to grow. Seems like a problem waiting to happen to me...
    beth

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks for the different viewpoint beth. I might just milk out a little bit and test it for mastitis, if it is positive I will milk her out and treat with a dry cow therapy. If negative, I might just leave her be. There is still a remote possibility that she is actually pregnant, but I'm not convinced.