Another question, about breeding size

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, May 28, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yup, sorry, you are going to hear a lot of questions from me. *bashful*

My question is, if you have a smaller goat, say 31 inches tall. Can you breed her with larger stock? Or is there a danger of her not being able to pass her kids? I need to know, because I am shopping, and my female Alpine is only 31 inches. I have also found a doe I like that is also only 31 inches. But I do want larger animals. So??? question is I guess, can I buy a big buck and my does be safe to breed with him, or should I get a buck that is not the largest, but maybe comes from stock that is somewhat larger?

So much to learn!

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    How much bigger is larger? If it's like within a couple I'd *believe* it'd be OK but if it's like over 6 inches bigger I'd say no. But I really don't know...

Beth??

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How old are these does?

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My mentor taught me that you dont want to use a large buck on an FF. You risk injury to her back legs.
    As for bigger babies then she can handle, I dont know someone here does.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have used older and larger bucks on kids and FF's before with no problem. The biggest thing is knowing how large the kids from that buck will be. If the buck is throwing larger kids and you are unsure if your doe can handle larger kids, then I wouldn't breed her to that buck.

6. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    My old unregistered doe is 6yrs. The lady I got her from said she always threw big kids (not a breeder, just had her for milk). She has beautiful color that I want to incorperate into the gene pool. I have a feeling she is from some old stock. As I tour other breeders throughout this area, I may get a better idea where she came from. *hoping*

The other one would be a future doeling from a doe that is 31 inches tall. She is EXTREMELY level, and is something I am looking for in my kids.

I'd rather wait until the doeling is 2 years old to freshen.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

How much do these does weigh? Have they kidded before. Grain fed does are going to have bigger kids then does who arnt fed grain. Single births are going to be larger then twins and triplets.
    A lot of difficult births depends on the doe and how she is built. A doe with an ezxtremly steep rump will have a harder time because of how the birth canal is shaped. Some steep rumped does have no problems though. A doe who is narrow fro thurl to thurl is going to have a hard time passing kids through her pelvis.
    beth