Another Question...Lamanchas or Nubains

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Aug 21, 2009.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I don't mean to be starting so many threads lately...... :) ...

I know of a Lady has Lamancha does & buck for sale, and they seem to have pretty nice lines(they are all reg.). She dosen't know that much about confirmation so she just sent me natural pictures. I'm not sure if I want to go with lamanchas or Nubians...any advice? What do you like about each breed? Thanks! :greengrin:
    These are pedigree for two of the dry yearling does....I haven't looked all of them yet. What do you think about their lines?

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001464353

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail. ... L001464352

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Another Question

You start all the threads you want! :hug:

Since I am one of those wierd people that like seeing my goats ears, regardless of confirmation and genetics I'd go with nubies :greengrin:

3. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois

Thank you, Liz!!

:slapfloor:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I would go with nubians just because (like Liz) I like goats with ears, but that's jmo. And nubian babies are just the cutest little things...with those big floppy ears... :love: Other than that I have no other reasons for you to go with either breed in particular. lol :wink:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Those are nice LaMancha lines. I'm not familiar with all of the herd names that were there but I think that they could potentially be pretty nice does. Of course, conformation pics would help, but on paper they sound nice. :)

I personally love LaManchas :love: They tend to have laid back personalities and are easy to handle. I think they cope with stress well compared to some breeds that I've had experience with. They seem to be naturally very healthy and hardy as well in my experience.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

personaly i like lamancha temperments better they tend to be more laid back. nubians are very mischeivious in m,y experience. both breeds tend to get loud when they want to. i liked dished faces more then roman noses. both come in a variety of colors.
    im not familiar with any of those lines or herds. Do you have pictures of them?
    beth

7. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I raise Angoras but help milk my neighbor's lamanchas when she is out of town. If you want her email address or phone number PM me. I love her goats. They are the sweetest goats I've ever met. Mine would be jealous if they could hear me talking. If I was getting a milking goat I'd get one of them. There is also a yahoo group for lamanchas and you could talk to those people. All I know is her goats stole my heart.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Well of course...being a Nubian breeder I would deffinitely vote for Nubian! lol My 4-H advisor has Munchies and they tend to hate me for some reason. My advisor says it's cause I smell like eared-goats. :roll: :ROFL:

I don't really recognize any of those herds names, except for Little-Orchard...which I've heard before. The sire on both pedigrees is a result of 3/4 brother and sister mating.

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I personally like Nubies. :greengrin:

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    LaManchas definately!!!!!

I recognize some of those lines. Tropical Storm is related to my 2 year old doe Kadisha. Kadisha is out of Huricane-PM Tropical Cruise. South-Fork lines are really good to. I met the folsk who own that herd and they are really nice and have a beautiful place to.

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    LaManchas are pretty mellow for the most part, most come into pretty good milk as two year olds and older-although i'm sure in every breed there are those who just do not milk much no matter their age. Nubians tend to have the highest butterfat in their milk-and tend to need babied more-or so I hear. I will say though some of the most gorgeous does i've seen are Nubians. They are the first ones ya hear at the fairs and shows that's for sure.

12. LaManchaGuy

LaManchaGuy Guest

Aug 22, 2009
    i would go with LaManchas :cool: i have hads both and i like the lamanchas better

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Nubians! All the way!!!

LW

PS didnt you know you'd get 50/50 answers? :ROFL:

14. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    we got both also. i love those ears on a nubian but Lamachas are so layed back. Einstein our Nub has gotten into so much trouble. He head butts the ponies. Chases our cow. Always the center of attection. Now our Machas are so layed back and calm most of the time. We got one we have in the little baby pen and they bullie him. Camel will not even stand up against the 2 month old Pandora. (Well she is a natrual bullie).

Well depending on what you want and my appion I woudl go for the nubian. You jsut got to love those ears. Big floppy ears that flop up and down when they run around. But I still would not trade my lamachas for the world

15. Deena

Deena Guest

Jan 31, 2009
    Both ...I love them both

16. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I have both. The La Manchas are much easier to train to the milk stand IMHO. They also produce more milk, though some strains of Nubians are ok too. If I had to go with only one breed it would be the La Manchas.