Another Question...:)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shadycreekgoats, Mar 23, 2010.

1. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have a buckling that was born last Wednesday and he's a little under a week old. Someone would like to pick him up this Saturday, but my question is, Should I keep him a few more weeks and castrate him first? :shrug: They want to use him for a 4H project. He is a bottle baby, and I think they want to bottle feed him and bond with him while he's young.

What would you do? :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would tell them that they need to return him for castrating or they will need to take him to a vet to have it done. Now if they are experienced or have people around them in their 4H club that are experienced they can do it themselves I am sure.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yep thats exactly what I do with my bottle bucklings that are slated to be wethers.
    I dont send the reg papers for show wethers until I know they have been castrated, either by me, a vet, or someone in their 4H group.

4. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks for the advice! :) The lady said that she could find someone to do it....would it be fine if I told her to take it to her vet when he is old enough?
    She couldn't really bring him back to me to have it done because she is 3 hrs away (I just looked it up).

Just as a side note, how do you register a whether? I thought the registries only accept does & bucks?

Thanks for all your help!! :greengrin:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You can register wethers. You just circle Wether on the AGS forms and I think there is a special form for the ADGA. ;)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dotn think you can register standard wethers but you can register ND wethers so thats what they are talking about.

I would leave it up to the buyer to accomplish getting the wethering done unless you really think they will keep him intact and that bothers you.