The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i lost count but here is another dumb question...

Why is it that goats cant eat chicken feed?

I have read that it will make them sick but what causes this? Some chicken feed apparently has meat products in it but the layer crumble we feed has only vegetation in it, basically grains and vitamin supplements. We keep the chicken feed where the goats cant get into it because well...its for the chickens and goats dont lay eggs. Just wondering what was in it that isnt good for goats, the affects it has on goats and what to do if the goats do get into the feed ( i guess its always possible).

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Cause no one likes eggs full of milk :)
You know, I think I might like you lol. That was funny. But yes it makes them very very sick, I had a doe get into my shed that had the chicken feed in it and she was sick as a dog for weeks. One old time goat dude told me at first he always fed his goats corn, on of the goats got sick and died. He went cut into her to see what was going on and he said that the corn put like a layer of fat around her organs and killed her. I was told the same thing when I was feeding my mare this ground up corn I got from the mill when I was a teenager.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
:) Just dont expect another funny anytime soon. I like to pace myself :)

Corn isnt bad for a goat as long as its at least cracked though I would not advise giving granular corn as mentioned above. Your typical all stock / dairy ration grain has a good amount of corn in it. Not to mention cob both wet and dry have corn.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Corn is common to feed livestock, but it isn't particularly good for them, especially goats. It's very high in phosphorus, and a lot of corn is GMO.

Chicken feed can contain a lot of stuff that isn't good for goats -- it depends on the feed, but it can contain meat products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts