The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this posted on my old thread and a few people told me i would get more answers if i make a new one so i copy pasted the whole thing...

Thank you everyone that has replied. It took forever but i got all of them healthy and fat again.

But of course as soon as i get everything well only a few weeks of everything going smooth another one gets sick. What am i doing wrong?

She started out loosing a little weight so as soon as i noticed i wormed her and she hasn't changed much and its been 2 days then today i went to check her and she was laying down so i went and got her some water and she drank the whole thing. She had water out there already so i don't know why she didn't just go get it from there? I went and filled the bowl up again and she drank it all again. Then i went to put her up in a kinda quarantine shed thing we have thats a little bit of a walk but not much like less than 100 yards and she walked about half way then laid down and i started freaking out. I went and got my dad and he carried her the rest of the way and she wasn't eating and i tried about everything i made her oatmeal with honey, i tried feed, grass, hay, crackers all of her favorite foods and she got really excited when i brought it out and i know she's hungry, but she only ate a few crackers. Im going to worm her again today and the next closet time you can worm her ive got to read the bottle.

Our vet won't do fecals for some stupid reason but hes the worst vet ever and about the only one in a 2 hour radius. She dosent have scours.

I think she's dehydrated and im going to go get some electrolytes from tractor supply is there anything else i can get her while im there? We gave her a penicillin shot so maybe some probiotics? If so when should i start using it? I don't want to overload her with stuff.

Thank you guys everyone here has taught me so much i dont know what I'd do without this site.

·
14,615 Posts
Probiotics yes! You can start that right away. Get some B complex for her while you are there to help stimulate her appetite.
Its good she is drinking on her own but if her skin does not drop back instantly then you will know she is dehyrdrated. Electrolytes will really help.
Please try to get a temp on her.
Is is really hot where you are?
How are her eyelids? Nice & pink or pale?
How come she is getting penicillin? What is her age?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lets see if i can remember all these questions if not ill read them again and post more... Her eyelids are really pale, she was really groggy acting and we asked around our little town anyone that would know something about it and someone told us to give her penicillin, where do you get b complex or the hog iron from?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is about 2

where do you pull the skin from on the hydration test? on their neck like a horse?

its usually very hot were i am 95-105 but the temp has been bouncing around lately

ill pick up a thermometer when i go to tractor supply for the probiotics, im guessing it works just like a regular one but for the other end?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Yes rectal...her temp should be between 101.5 and 103.5...since you began Penicillan you should do a complete cycle of 5 days..1 cc per 20#
here is a good recipe for home made electrolytes (below)
with her eyes being very pale and without a fecal we have to assume she is wormy..Ivomec Plus will cover a large number of worms, Sulmet or Dimethox will cover cocci..Red Cell or injectable iron for anemia, B complex and Vit B 12 shots will help her re build her red blood cells..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses (or any molasses or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked on her this morning and she was a little better than last night. I went to tractor supply and got electrolytes, probiotics, b complex and a pile of other stuff. I went home and pumped some electrolytes in her and gave her b complex and sat with her for an hour or so then i had to leave and go somewhere for a few hours and i came back and she looked really bad. Laying down couldn't get up, uneven breathing so i did everything again and she wasn't looking any better my dad was out there with me and he told me to go inside and check on her every thirty minutes (i think he just didnt want me to see her like that) so i went inside for like five minutes had my little meltdown and went back out and sat in the stall with my old horse then a little while later dad came and told me she didnt make it. :(

I wish i could just have caught it earlier. :(
Thank you everyone who helped out.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Im sorry..she was a beautiful girl...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts