The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went away for 3 days and my Saanen decided to get sick. Got home tonight and it looks like she lost 20 lbs in that 3 days, temp is 105.2. I gave her Tylan 200 (only antibiotic I have on hand). Going to vet tomorrow can I get her something better or should I continue with Tylan 200?
She has diarrhea too. She was just wormed with Ivomec Plus last Thursday. I also dosed her with 20cc albon and I gave her the homemade electroyles (water, molasses, baking soda and ACV). Anything more I can be doing? Thanks

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Tylan 200 is a good call...if you can get Nuflor from the vet would be good if not do a full five day with tylan 200 every 12 hours...
Banamine to reduce her fever and help with discomfort
C D antitoxin for the gut issue..if you dont have any Milk of Magnesia works well..15 cc per 60#
Probiotics
B complex as a support vitamine..
Keep the electros coming..offer hay, alfalfa and green leaves..no feed until she berries up...
hope she feel better soon

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,084 Posts
For scours, what I just did for my boys: Shut her in away from grasses, give her as much hay as she wants, and plenty of water. I dosed my boys with activated charcoal (as an alternative to the CD anti-toxin. Epson salts, 2 TBS for a full-sized doe, is also an alternative if you don't have the anti-toxin), which fixed up their sloshy tummies, and I've been running out double dose Fir Meadow GI Soother every two hours. I've seen very good progress. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted. :hug:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just took temp, it was 104.7. Another dose of Tylan 200 and I got Banamine from the vet and Albon. So, I'm treating for coccidiosis. I have heard that goat people are switching to Toltrazuril 200mL Baycox for a one day treatment for coccidiosis. Anyone have any info on this?
I also gave her 30cc MOM and 60cc of the electroyles, B12. This is the mother to the baby goat that I posted about a week or so back that was dragging back legs and vet thought was a pinched nerve. We treated with steroids and I did the M worm treatment. What is going on in my herd???? I did rotate them to a new pasture about 2 weeks ago that had a big pond and various trees around it. This morning she had ZERO milk and this is my Saanen girl that was giving a gallon per day. Will she be dried up now or will milk return when her fever goes down?
Ugh!!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Saddly this has been a hard year for many..the weather has not been kind to our goats..
Have you had a fecal done to see if they have cocci..or are you just treating incase? I use Baycox..its been wonderful..its a total kill medication..some will need two doses 10 days apart but most only need the one which is 1 cc per 5# I order from horseprerace.com
There is a chance your doe could come back in milk..I have a lamancha who when ill dried completely up..we had to bottle feed her doe kid..after she got well she was not only back in milk but full production..so there is a good chance..
Be sure to do the tylan 200 every 12 hours for a full five to 7 days..even if she seems well..If she does not seem to be improving..get some Nuflor from the vet
Probiotics 3-4 hours after antibiotics or daily for a3-5 days after treatment is completed

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read on the fias goat page this about Tylan 200

Goat dose: SQ Injection
1 ml per 20 lbs. once a day for 5 days.
And I did ask vet also and she said once per day.

I did not do a fecal but since I just wormed her with Ivomec Plus I don't think it's worms and I did order the Baycox but will continue with Albon for her. I was not able to get the C & D antitoxin, feed store does not carry it and ordering it will take too long to get here. I did give her MOM and I do have activated charcoal is this used in place of the antitoxin?

After the shot of Banamine or maybe all the treatment combined she is up and eating. Hurray!!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I have found it works better every 12 hours,..at the rate suggested..;)

Im glad she is feeling better and eating

per Goat-link

NOTE...MY personal choice for upper respiratory (pneumonia) in goats- I use this at the rate of 1cc/25lbs twice a day injected SUbQ for 5 days for goats with fever over 104. This medication stings, so expect the goat to react to the injection - sometimes more violently than others- know this but also watch for signs of anaphylactic shock as with ANY injectable medication.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Albon depletes the system of thiamine. You will need to get some from the vet for after treatment concludes. Good luck.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Albon depletes the system of thiamine
Albon is safe...Corid is the thiamine inhibitor.. I have read some give Thiamine after any cocci treatment or antibiotic use since it kills so much of the good bacteria in the gut..never hurts. I give it any time one of my goats are off..;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know that feeling when you walk into the barn not knowing if a sick animal will have taken a turn for the worse or for the better? I have that in my gut now not only for my baby goat, my Saanen but NOW my camel. She had diarrhea last night. Thank goodness no other symptoms so I will be catching whatever she has early since I'm not on vacation. We are going to load up this morning and stop at the vets for a fecal and then some truck scales so I know exactly how much she weighs. On the bright side, my Saanen (Gracie) is up and eating and I gave her 3rd dose of Albon along with MOM. She will get her injection this afternoon when I have help holding her. Gave her a bunch of maple leaves too. Her temp was back to
Normal at 101.3 last night.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
so glad your Doe is feeling better..never easy when they are ill...Hope your Camel meds as quick : ) sounds like you are on top of it :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts