Another small update (Uterine Infection)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RedLotusNigerians, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RedLotusNigerians

RedLotusNigerians Member

Dec 13, 2011
    It's been 4 days post-uterine flush/lute shot for Harmony; I've noticed that she does not have anywhere near the amount of goo/blood as she did before the flush. So that's an improvement I think :pray:

I gave her a fortified B shot (only 1 mL) and that perked her up some -- how often can the fort. B be given? I'm thinking I may try to give her another, I'm sure her poor tummy is bouncing from the antibiotic and now the lutalyse for added distraction. I dose her with Probios every day though.

She is not trying to urinate as frequently as before, but she still strains when she defecates; I assume because of the lutalyse and any swelling going on inside (the vet did not seem concerned with it). I did notice today that she still does have some reddish colored liquid passing after urination and a little pushing... I'm assuming this is because of the lutalyse.

I do have questions for those who use the lute and are more familiar with it; I know what it's used for, I just have not had to use it on anyone in my herd until now... So the vet said she'll need another dose on the 8th. How long do the effects of the lute last, and if I'm not mistaken, the lute causes contractions so that the uterus can push any bad stuff out (as well as keep the cervix open), right? Would lutalyse be used in the event a doe had anything retained in the uterus, such as an eviscerated/monster fetus? (Yeah, I'm still worried about that although I don't think she has anything in there)

With a second dose, that will continue to keep the uterus cleaning out I assume. But I have been told before that lute can sometimes cause enough hormone imbalance (since it can induce heat) to cause the doe to never cycle again. How does that happen, and how common is it really?

I had read somewhere else that in the event all other antibiotics fail, Baytril can be used (and is insanely expensive to buy by the bottle if you can get a vet to prescribe it). I've found it a bit difficult to find anything really substantial on Baytril used on goats when I research it via the web. Anyone have any input on it?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed still. I worry each night that she'll stagnate on her progress in recovery and just not get better, but she certainly seems to be getting a bit better since she's not gooey all the time. Still worry about the reddish fluids, I've put in a call to the vet to see what he thinks (hopefully it's part of the healing process).

This place has been amazing for all the wonderful folks I've met on here, and the support can't be beat. Thank you everyone! :grouphug: Going to keep y'all informed :)

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If Lutalyse works just the same as Estrumate (which I think it basically does), then it doesn't last long. Not sure on the exact amount of time. When we had a problem with a retained placenta in alpacas, we would give a shot of Estrumate every hour until they passed their placenta. By the next day, there is no sign of having contractions.

The Lutalyse won't keep the cervix open for a super amount of time. That is why the second shot. To open it up again.

Lutalyse does give contractions but it also forces a doe to cycle. I have never heard of Lutalyse or Estrumate causing a female to stop ovulating.

Lutalyse or Estrumate are used to help rid the uterus of anything remaining in the uterus after birthing. It makes the uterus have contractions to help it rid of anything that is not supposed to remain in there. I am including Estrumate because it is just as effective but it is more expensive. But if that is what your vet or neighbor has on hand, it is fine to use.

Lutalyse or Estrumate can also be used to get rid of a retained corpus luteum.

My vet swears by good old Penicillin for uterine infections and so far have never had an infection that needed another antibiotic. Alpacas are much more suspectible to uterine infections and are much harder to clear up than any other animal so my experience is with alpacas but I think goats aren't nearly as bad.

I'm assuming that your goat is going to be on antibiotics for at least 2 weeks?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    B Complex can be given numerous times a day, high doses won't hurt....I would up her daily dose to 2cc though, she'll pee out any excess.....and it does turn the urine orange if theres a high enough concentration in the system.

She sounds like she's doing well however...keep doing as you have, I know it's frustrating when they don't get better as quick as we want them too :hug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice given, praying for her. :hug: :pray:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oxytocin is something that would be given every hour to get a placenta to pass.. not lute.

Lute pretty much just causes a doe to cycle, which in turn opens the cervix. It shouldn't cause any real pain or pushing to happen.

Baytril doesn't work well in goats and i will never give it again. It is also illegal for a vet to give it to a goat or any food producing animals, but most vets don't know that. (this is more than just saying somthing shouldn't be given ex. off label use, which we do all the time.)
    Before anything really strong is used there are plenty of non prescription antibiotics including LA-200, tylosin and Pen G. After If those don't work go to excenel and if nothing else works then Draxxin.

This doe hasn't kidded in months and still has bloody discharge?? That would be pretty concerning. What's her temp?

6. ksalvagno

You're right about the Oxytocin. Getting my hormones mixed up.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :thumb: Thats ok :)

8. RedLotusNigerians

RedLotusNigerians Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I called the vet tonight -- Harmony is not getting better. I think there is indeed something in there, I saw her with some bloody-goo kind of discharge that came out in a tiny glob tonight. She pushes when she squats, cries some, but nothing comes out. She's not eating much anymore, she's not defecating as often, plus I saw some odd foamy discharge from her anus (could have been just gastric juices). Her temp has been pretty level but tonight she's at 101.8

He seems to think she's going slightly toxic despite the antibiotics, so he wants me to just switch her to some Pen G and we gave her that lute shot a day early in hopes it'll open her up so she can expel anything in there. I really don't know what I'm going to do at this point. I don't know how much a C-section is going to run me here (our vets seem to run high in cost) and then there's the chance she'll stroke out or just kick the bucket under general anesthetic. I almost think that if she does not improve, it would be kinder to put her down.

Please send positive thoughts and prayers for her :(

I also just found that my buck's scur/horn is trying to grow into his head, so I get to go make another post on that now...

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope that the Pen G helps her....and your vet should at least do an X Ray just to see if there is anything inside that can be removed surgically.

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
  11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Get the X-ray done before doing a c-section. Also, give her banamine, b-complex, probios and some nutridrench. Vitamin C wouldn't hurt either.

A c-section can be done standing via lidocaine and does not cost as much and is MUCH easier on the goat.

12. ksalvagno

I hope your vet is having you do the Pen G twice a day. I also agree with the others that an xray is in order or an ultrasound depending on how good the vet is with ultrasounds to see what is going on in there.

I hope your doe pulls through for you. :hug: