Another stupid question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by leslie0815, Jan 5, 2008.

1. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia
    When I go to get oats for them at the feed store what kind do I ask for? My goats are always getting into mu chicken scratch is that ok for them ? Whats the best combo to feed them really ? that is economical ?

Thanks again
    Leslie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not sure about the oats but no chicken feed/scratch is not good for goats.

I feed a sweet goat feed that is basically a sweet horse feed. I am getting ready to switch to the sweet horse feed because it is cheeper and just about the same stuff!

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Never a stupid question, the only stupid question is the one not asked that should of been.
    I feed rolled oats to my goats, when pregnant they get a mix if dry cob rolled oats alfafa pellets as we don;t feed alfafa hay, black oil sunflower seeds and beet pulp in the winter time. When milking in the spring and summer the rations gets uped a bit. they get free coice minerals and baking oda and of course water. And most of the time have acess to browse, yummy grass tree branches leaves ferns and other things.
    Bucks and whethers get a small amount ( a couple of hanfuls) of this grain mix during their first year. Other then that they only get hay and minerals and pasture. During breeding season i sually give my bucks a small meal once a day to keep them in condition.

beth

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    When I bought strait oats to mix to feed my goats I bought crimped. That is a lot less dusty. But it does cost more than whole oats.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I use whole oats because I feed little to the goats (of which I only have two) and in my humid climate, crimped molds in a week or two while whole stays good forever if kept in a can. Same for sweet feed- which my rolly pollies do not need anyway.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We feed whole oats to our goats, because that is what we grow. I've never tried crimped oats though.

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Chicken feed isn't good for goats. We feed I think rolled oats that is in our 12% protein mixture of rolled oats, cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, sheep pellets, and a little bit of mollases. The goats LOVE it!
    Ashlyn

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I feed a mix of Whole oats, wheat, Milo and Barley.

I NEVER ,EVER feed corn or molasses based feed to my goats. I have had several vets and BIG BREEDERS, tell me that Corn ferments in the Rumen before they are able to digest it all the way, and I have had several people around here have goat that will NOT SETTLE. I have told them all to take the corn and molasses away from the goats, and see if they will settle. SO far all that I have talked to, they have all settled now.
    Please those of you that feed the goat chow, and others, I ma not saying anything about that, I have just heard that it will hender them getting bred, (SOMETIMES).

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feed mine a commercial goat mix by Blue Seal, it is by far easier for me and ALL my goats have thrived on it it contains Molasses and crimped Corn, have never had issues with goats not settling or even any gut problems, in the last 8 years of use. I will change back and forth even mixed 2 different types of protein content by the same company, Caprine Challengar is my first choice with Coarse 16 being the second, same feed just the challengar has 18% protein. Each goat herder has different views on what their goats do better on, some don't even feed grain and have great results. Just remember that whatever you choose should be done gradually to avoid illness alltogether, good luck finding what works for you. Like I said, commercial is easier to come by for me and being that I have 6 minis to feed it's not economical for me to get more than 50-100 pounds at a time. :)

10. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i feed a mix of whole oat, barley, boss and calf manna.
    lori what nutritional value has the milo and may i ask what you pay for it?