The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it's hard to tell from the picture, and i'm not a professional critiquer, but I can say is the attachment can be stronger (i.e. closer to the body), and capacity is not great. are you milking after a 12 hour fill? the teat that I can see looks to be good size and position for a ND.

here are some links about udders.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f183/udders-108366/

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f183/i-know-sticky-did-thread-but-rear-udder-attachments-148615/

hope someone who has more experience chimes in!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
from what I've read, no. the only thing an existing udder can improve on is capacity with subsequent freshenings. however, weak attachments will make the udder droopier and droopier as well with subsequent freshenings.

only way to have better udders is to breed good udders into the babies. i'm dealing with small udder, small-ish teats and bad attachments on my girl, so i'm hoping to find a buck that can throw me better udders.

I mean, you can't really change human boobs all that dramatically, unless one goes for plastic surgery.....

I hope this helps...and those with more experience, please feel free to jump in!

·
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder
1,092 Posts
i'm dealing with small udder, small-ish teats
I should know better than to jump in after being gone for a bit and only for a short time at that ....... bahaha

But I disagree with the statement above. Teat size can increase with the number of freshenings along with udder capacity.

So small udder is confusing unless you are wishing to increase udder capacity in general. And small-ish teats ..... :shrug:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
teats! i forgot about teat size. yes, they too can increase, but attachments will weaken in time.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
She needs a stronger medial suspensory ligament, for both more support, and to more clearly define the udder halves
Needs to be higher and tighter in the escutcheon
Teats are fair size for her breed
Teats could be more centered
Udder is even on both sides
Needs a more capacious udder

That's what I got from the pic, with a clear pic, and one without her leg in the way, I could tell you more. A fore udder pic would be nice too, along with a side pic of the udder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts